EVGA 8800 gts and DX10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atrossity

Beta member
I bought a 7950 GT KO from evga, and I am loving it.. I am just a bit worried. I spent 240 on the card, and with direct x 10 coming out, im wondering if I screwed up.

I want to direct you to this article:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6164940/index.html

You dont have to read it, but It shows DX10 vs DX9 comparison shots.

Is that to be believed? Im not a conspiracy theorist, but could it be possible that microsoft paid gamespot to post those pictures? Im looking at the direct x 9 shots, which look like utter crap, and the direct x 10 shots, which look like games like dark messiah on my PC. You see that part of the difference in the AOC shot is the draw distance.. but my pc can draw that far on games like farcry and vanguard:soh, and Im running DX9. Am I calling BS unfairly or..

Basically, what is DX10 and what is it doing that DX9 cant?

-AND-

Evga just released a 320 MB gts card for 300 dollars. As I mentioned, I have a 7950 GT ko which performs GREAT thus far. Evga offers a step up program that allows you to send in your existing card to upgrade for just the difference in price, so I can buy a 8800 gts 320mb for 60 dollars more.

I read the reviews on the 640 mb model, and they are very close in performance to the gtx, while rendering just as nice. AFAIK, the only difference between the 640 and the 320 model is 150 dollars and 320 mb onboard memory. Im wondering if onboard memory is the same as system memory..

The question I asked my friend today is : Could the perfect card with 1 mb onboard ram and a system with 4 gb ram on it run/look better than a OK card with 2 gb onboard ram? Would a 8800 gts 320mb with a 512 stick be better than a 8800 gts 640 mb card?

Also- a friend of mine says 8800's are glitchy (crashing often and such) and dont run as well as a dx9card on dx9 games. is this true? Would the gts drop my FPS ?

I really love lurking these forums and I've learned so much already from them.

thanks for any help.

Id just like to add in that if my card will perform and look just as good as a 8800 for now for the next year or two until they kink out DX10 and release more DX10 games, Id rather wait and buy a card.

I don't know what your friend was smoking but the 8800gts are fantastic. They run games a lot faster than what you have. The dependence on your moniter has to do with weather to get the 320mb or the 640mb.
High resolution = 8800gts 640mb
Lower resolution = 8800gts 320mb.
What direct X 10 has over direct X 9 really the shaders and lighting effects. Not much but looks much more realistic, from tech demos I have seen. The next thing you will notice is higher fame rate with more effect on. I would get the 320mb if I were you before the 90 days are up with the step-up program.

Dr DMoney said:
I don't know what your friend was smoking but the 8800gts are fantastic. They run games a lot faster than what you have. The dependence on your moniter has to do with weather to get the 320mb or the 640mb.
High resolution = 8800gts 640mb
Lower resolution = 8800gts 320mb.
What direct X 10 has over direct X 9 really the shaders and lighting effects. Not much but looks much more realistic, from tech demos I have seen. The next thing you will notice is higher fame rate with more effect on. I would get the 320mb if I were you before the 90 days are up with the step-up program.

no offense dude but that didnt really help me at all. Im not considering getting a 8800 gts 640, im looking for the pros of it over the 7950 gt ko, with 512 onboard ram.

And obviously direct x 10 is gonna look better than whats out already, because its newer. And they are trying to sell their product.

you really need more memory man, i'm noticing my 1gb of memory chokes games these days. the 8800GTS performs far better than the 7950GT in games. the drivers have been reported to be a bit unstable and in some cases causing crashes or graphical glitches.

looking at those screenshots i believe they are authentic, as opposed to the FSX fakes that were made in the past. it's hard to explain why i'm sure but i am :p. however i still don't believe it's a fair comparison of DX9 vs. DX10. that's just lazy use of the DX9 engine because many DX9 games can produce some similar effects that were in those DX10 shots but absent in DX9 e.g. the lighting in the first.

dx10 isn't going to be all that its made out to be in my opinion, the real advantage to the geforce 8 series, and future cards is the unified shader architecture. Driver issues can be fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom