Hi guys, my first post :)

I built a low spec PC for a mate about 6 months ago:

AMD 2600 XP
ASUS A7V880
1GB Ram
80GB HDD
Radeon 9800 Pro /w Artic Cooler
300W PSU

All was working fine until last week when he said it just froze, and we've been unable to get it to POST since then. No beeps, just blank screen.

I thought it was the mobo, so replaced that with the same model but still got the same problem. I've eliminated the RAM as a problem as I tried the RAM from my own working machine. I also tried an old gfx card that was known to be working, no joy.

The led on the mobo lights up and the fans spin. No HDDs or DVD drives connected either :(

So am thinking it could be the CPU? When I put it in the new mobo, it looked fine - ie no signs of burning or anything. How common is it for CPUs to fail?

Either that or the PSU, it is 4-5 years old, but the fans all spin??

Please help :)

It might be the PSU, I've had one die on me before, It would still power up but it wouldn't do anything but Idle, If you can try a new PSU. If it's not that then definitely look into the CPU, however the motherboard should beep letting you know the CPU is dead if that's the case so that is kind of an odd one you got there. I'd say check into the PSU before anything because that what sounds the most plausible given there's no BIOS beeps.

Thanks for the reply.

I went ahead and tried the PSU from my own PC which I know works as it's powering the keyboard I'm typing on right now ;)

Unfortunately, still no joy.

I don't have another socket A CPU to try and don't want to buy one to find that still doesn't resolve the issue.

Could there be anything else I'm missing, or is it 100% gotta be the CPU now?

Thanks

Well it might be the CPU. Given that you've been tearing into this thing quite a bit to find the bug make sure you have EVERYTHING connected the right way. It's very easy to make mistakes and overlook things so no offense, It could be something very simple like a wire misplaced or something of the likes. It's odd that the motherboard does not beep, You have a speaker hooked up right? I'd say it sounds like the CPU if you've tested EVERYTHING else, I also would not advise buying parts just to test them since the bios beeps should tell you exactly what's wrong.

well cpu dont really Die that fast but if u touched the pins of the Cpu then that could be ur result. Also since its a old Motherboard try a different CMOS battery, might be dead.

Well, this is odd.

Good advice to check the leads, which I did and noticed the speaker cable was not plugged into the correct place on the header (out by one pin).

I corrected this and tried again thinking that this couldn't be the problem but at least I'd hear the beeps, but low and behold, it POSTed :)

For a test I put the speaker cable back where it came from and it still POSTed. So that wasn't the issue in the first place, but that was the only thing I changed.

Everything now seems ok with it. This is very strange.

Thanks for the help guys

Unfortunately I spoke too soon.

I powered down the problematic PC and plugged all the leads back into my own working PC to let you all know it was fixed.

When I plugged all the leads back into the problematic PC, it's back to the same problem. No POST, no Beeps, just blank screen.

This is doing my nut.

Could it be something loose? I've reconnected the ATX lead and reseated the gfx card, but haven't managed to get it to boot since.

Any further advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wow...im having the same problem as you and my specs are almost the same too...i think

AMD athlon 3200+
LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb
1GB Kingston Ram
250GB HDD
Radeon 9800 Pro
430W Antec PSU

i started having this problem too and can't figure out whats wrong. i dont know what POST means, but when i turn it on i dont get beeps either, just a black screen. have you tried turning the computer on without a stick of ram in it and see if it beeps? someone on a different forum told me to try that and my system doesnt beep.

Maybe something is shorting it out, If it works with somethings disconnected, Then disconnect everything and slowly put things back in until it stops working to find out what's causing it.

Hi

Yes, I've tried connecting just the essentials - CPU, one stick of memory and GPU.

The only leads that are connected are the ATX power lead and the power switch into the header.

If i remove the stick of ram, I don't get any beeps either. Just blank screen.

I'd appreciate any more advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom