Can Ram mess a computer up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B00mbocks

Baseband Member
I am thinking of giving some of my old Ram to my dad for his computer but I am not sure if it will be compatable, so i want to try it out in his rig before i order more for my computer ( Space issue) So i want to know if i put some of my Ram in my dad computer could it in anyway mess up any files on his computer? he is doing his taxes right now and is really concerned. Could it mess anything on his computer up?

nah the ram wont cause him to lose any files
but make sure the ram is the same as what he already has or it will be usless

well his computer is an overpriced Dell with a P4 and XP Bought from Dell in 2002 it has 256 in it right now so i figure that another 512 will help it out a lot! i am giving him PC3200 so if his is like PC2100 or somthing mine RAM will still work in his right? what type do you expect his to have?

If it's from 2002 it could have sdram, rdram, or even ddr. What's his model number? It should be printed on the front, if not there then check the sticker on the back.

and if the ram you add is faster than what he has it wont help as much as it could rip out the old stuff and just have the new ram
as the system will only run as fast as its slowest components will allow

i am 90% sure he has ddr Ram, so what would be better, 768 of like PC2100 or 512 PC3200?

ok well it turn out acording to CPU-z that he has RDRAM and it is PC-1066-32 (533 MHZ) Do you tihnk his MOBO would be compatable with PC3200 Ram?

B00mbocks said:
ok well it turn out acording to CPU-z that he has RDRAM and it is PC-1066-32 (533 MHZ) Do you tihnk his MOBO would be compatable with PC3200 Ram?

No. You would have to get more RDRAM, which is hard to come by.

B00mbocks said:
Nope, and RDRAM is fairly expensive, too. Head over to www.crucial.com and look some up for your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom