My turn to build - one step at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, get a big harddrive (120+GB)
An AMD Athon 64
512+RAM (RDRAM better)
128 video card
the rest is up to you, i don't have that advice

That 5200 will work for basic games, you may need a newer (5900) though to support the more graphics intense games.

CableModem said:
OK, get a big harddrive (120+GB)
An AMD Athon 64
512+RAM (RDRAM better)
128 video card
the rest is up to you, i don't have that advice

I don't need a "big" hard drive. I assure you 60 to 80 GB will work. I plan on the Athlon 64. The card listed above is 128 MB.

My problem is the motherboard that is compatible. I am looking for a cost efficient combo, or I could even "combo" it myself, but most importantly, is cost. I could have a better computer than any one of us, but the problem like with most all of us, is cost. Now, just where to find it. Anyone want to solve my MOBO PROBLEM?

I think you will struggle getting all of that stuff for $300.
You dont mention how new the games are that you want to play.

I use an AMD Barton 2500+ and A7N8X Deluxe combo this gives:
Dual 100 Mbits Lan Ports
6-channel audio
USB2
SATA etc..

it is plenty fast enough to play far cry (latest game) with my FX 5900 128Mb.
HDD wise, i agree 120Gb+ really (dont bother with 10k rpm 7,200 is fine)
and ram: you need at least 512Mb of PC2700 (Although i would recommend 1Gb).

btw I run office xp and win xp pro and they both work fine.

Well, the reason that I don't need 120, which I failed to mention (my apologies) is that I have an 80GB external already. I don't need to fork out the extra money for more space when more space wont be needed. I don't really download a lot, so there's no big deal there.

My favorite games can easily run on my card, I hope.

I will be checking out Half-Life 2, but for the most part, I play Age of Empires, Starcraft, Lionheart: legacy of the crusader... pretty simple games. Lionheart and Diablo take up a bit more, but I think it can handle it.

Im definately looking at 1GB PC2700. I'll update my pricing later. I found something on pricewatch, just have to find it again.

Here is the stats on it though:
Gigabyte - ONLINE ORDER ONLY - - GA-K8N Pro GAK8N Pro NVIDIA nForce3 150 Platform Audio GBLAN ATA133RAID DDR400 1AGP 5PCI ATX.
Details:
-with cpu - AMD ATHLON 64 2800+ with cpu heatsink & fan complete combo kit. K8NPro
Part - BZBP#K8NPRO-2800+
Updated - 5/24, 2:40 AM TotalCost $306.7

if you are going the amd64 route you are going to be forkin out the money. i would stick with a high end barton chip for now, unless you really have the money to spend. i would get an ati video card rather than an nvidia because of sheer power. i've had both and i prefer ati. think about what you are going to be using the computer for. are you really going to need all of that power? i doubt that any application that you will use wont run fine off of a high end amd barton cpu. but lay down the money and tell us how it comes out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom