New Build, looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lookin4help

Baseband Member
Hello there. I am heading to a computer show this weekend to pick up some parts so I can rebuild two systems. I am fairly computer literate, and have physically put a computer together before - it's the specifics on the hardware that have my head spinning. On both computers I need motherboards, processors and RAM. And those are the things I know the least about, lol.

The first system is used mostly for gaming (EQ2), intensive graphics (photo editing, animation, etc) and then your basic internet/word processing use. I was thinking of getting a:
-MachSpeed MSNV-939 nVidia Socket 939 motherboard
-AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+ 2.2GHZ dual core processor

I am partial to AMD, and price is a factor since at the moment I am rebuilding at not the best time financially but I can't wait much longer to upgrade from my (gulp) AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (yes I was running EQ2 on that).

I also need a new video card for that one, and I have no real idea for what I want for that, only to try and keep the price down.

The second computer is just a basic general computer. Internet, word processing, Quick Books used mostly. But, I don't want to have to upgrade anytime soon so I was thinking of just putting the same processor/motherboard in this as the other.

Now for RAM. I don't want to buy DDR2 RAM. I just don't have the $$ at the moment. Plus, I have about 1.5 GB RAM in regular DDR RAM right now that I can recycle into the new ones. For RAM right now I have 1792MB of PC 2100 RAM. I have no idea what the difference is in 2100 vs 3200 etc. I would like to have 2GB RAM in EACH machine. Can I buy PC 3200 RAM and have it work in conjunction with the PC 2100? How does that effect the speed?

Sorry that was long, but thank you for your advice.

Copy my build and you to will be able to enjoy over 100Fps on BF2 with 8xAA, HIGH, 1280x1024

lol, and get over 10,700 in 3Dmark06 stock :)

I love my system **Gives Hug**

I appreciate the reply, but I really am set on an AMD system, and like I said, I just don't have the money right now for DDR2 RAM.

Socket 939?
I personally would just get a Allendale or Conroe. Right Now they are Owning AMD

Ok, after reading enough to make my head swim, I have come up with two final possible builds. (I did do an Intel even though I don't know anything about Intel) The AMD build would be around $550, and the Intel would be around $570, so not a huge difference.

AMD:
Case: Rosewill R5601-BK 0.8mm SECC Screw-less Dual 120mm Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power supply: Ultra V Series 500W Power Supply
Motherboard: ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Toledo 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4600DAA5CD
RAM: WINTEC AMPO 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Video Card: EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Intel:

Case: Rosewill R5601-BK 0.8mm SECC Screw-less Dual 120mm Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power supply: Ultra V Series 500W Power Supply
Motherboard: ASUS P5L-VM 1394 LGA 775 Intel 945G Micro ATX Intel
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400
RAM: Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2
Video Card: EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

For a $20 difference, how much difference is there between the two rigs in performance terms? And, I am not one to upgrade my computer often. I like to basically beat it into the ground until it runs like crap and I HAVE to buy a new one. How long (obviously a rough estimate) would each of these systems last me? Am I looking at having to upgrade next year, or would I be ok for a few years? For example, right now I am running off of an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.1ghz with 768mb of PC2100 RAM in it and a GeForce 5900 128mb Video Card, and I am just now saying "hmm I really need to upgrade". Yet I do fairly intensive photo editing and animation on it plus I've been playing EverQuest 2 on it since it came out, and I haven't really minded how it ran until recently it started crapping out on me. I would like to get the most from my money without going overboard, but leaving my self some "growing room" so that I am not replacing the entire system in a year.

Thanks again in advance for all your advice.

By far, you are better off going with the Intel system....if you did some research you would find that the C2D processors are the greatest advance in processor technology in like, 8 years.....

It doesnt matter that "you do not know Intel" ...thats like saying "I've always owned a Ford and therefore wouldn't know how to drive a Chrysler"

You are really on a tight budget but that 2nd system you will be happy with..

Post links from newegg so we can see the prices.

Do you really want a micro motherboard?

Try to fit a Fortron PSU into your budget instead of Ultra.

It appears to be a pretty nice setup that you have there. You really are getting much more power for $20 more.

I think that the first thing to really go in this thing would be the power supply.

Aside from that this looks like a pretty nice system for video editing and animation work. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom