Rethinking PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumly

Baseband Member
Right now I have a Fortron AX400-PN, and basically, the future upgrade to my build-in-progress would involve a total of at least four hard drives of the type in my sig (WD 250s) in a RAID 0 array (with regular back-ups to somewhere else, of course).

With the release of the $300 8800GTS 320MB, I'll probably get that, too, instead of EVGA's overclocked $266 7950GT that I originally had my eyes on (~$40 isn't much of a difference).

So now I'm just wondering if the Fortron I have now will be able to supply the needed power, or if something else might be in order?

400w on a FPS should be enough..but if your having second thoughts then a 450w will support it and give you a little room to upgrade as 400 would be the very least.

I just got a Hiper 580W Type-R
it isn't the cheapest, but it's a really nice PSU, which is really stable, and has a really good modular cable design. It'll more than handle lots of hard drives, as well as the 8800 GTS.

It's also really shiny.

Fortron's 450W PSU has just two more Amps on one of the 12V rails, so I think for now I'll stay with the 400W if it is enough. I can always sell it later and get a different one (eventually I'd like maybe eight hard drives in total).

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom