Installed new memory; computer slows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED!

Hey guys,

I have a motherboard that is capable of Dual-Channel memory. I upgraded my PC last year, and I added 1gb corsair 3200 400Mhz memory. This year I decided I wanted to make use of the DUal-channel feature so I bought an identical memory.

Installed it last night, booted the computer, and noticed my computer had significantly slowed down. Every time I open IE or any window, it flickers and opens slowly (as in it "wipes" it on the screen, suggesting its slow). Everything is slow, doesn't make sense. BIOS says 2GB Dual Channel, windows says 2GB. No problem in detection.

But then, I tried different things, took the old one out let the new one in, and took the new one out and put back the old one in and it STILL is slowing even if I take out the new one! so what's happening guys?

Please help, thanks a lot :)

Are you sure its the exact same Model of memory?

If the memory has different Settings then it would explain the slow Down. If its not the same speed it will downclock the memory to the speed of the slowest stick.
Provide link to First memory Stick
Then a Link to second memory stick

Both memories are EXXACTLY THE SAME! Both Corsair, both 1gb, both 3200, both 400mhz, both the same model. Same memory.

And your 100% Sure that your ordered this SAME Memory from a year apart?

Download Motherboard Moniter 5 or Everest and Post Pic of memory timmings.

Ste said:
And your 100% Sure that your ordered this SAME Memory from a year apart?

Download Motherboard Moniter 5 or Everest and Post Pic of memory timmings.

I downloaded Motherboard Monitor 5, but I don't see any option to check the memory timings?

What could be the reason for this? before the computer ran fine. But as soon as I installed new memory there was a drastic decrement in speed. Now, even when I put the old memory in, in the same slot, just as it was, it still is slow.

Did I do something in the process of installing new memory? like move the video card? etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom