ruined my mobo with a scratch!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satellite

Solid State Member
Well, thats all it takes fellas, one tiny little scratch from a trusty screwdriver and WHAM no motherboard!! I bought an arctic cooling fan http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/
and tried putting it on my mobo. It was too tight but I thought "it has too fit it was made for it" my screwdriver slipped and made a tiny gouge on one of the little "highways" (gold connectors that run from the cpu all along the motherboard) and now I have no mobo. No post, no nothing. (post is the nice little start up screen in DOS for those that aren't familiar). I cussed like a sailor and finally sat down in disbelief. Life really bites the big one right now. If not for a good friend at the LAN that let me borrow his extra mobo, I would be waiting for a week(s) without a computer and going through withdrawl worse then any crack addict. BE CAREFUL PUTTING ON THOSE CPU FANS.

lol that definitely does suck .. and so do the damn cpu fans them companies make .. it takes hecrculean effort and nerves (include buns too) of steel to get 'em in without leaving a capacitor or two broken off .. serves as a good warning to all those ppl out here who are building there own stuff .. be careful !

We fix those in the shop in a few minutes (high reliability soldering shop in an avionics lab). Naturally, you might not have access to one so here is how to do it at home. by using a small soldering iron (not those big things with light but those 25W or 40 W max with a 3 prong plug) cut a tiny piece of electrical wire (AWG 28 or smaller depending on the run you broke. using a small abrasive tool such as a tiny screwdriver, remove the coating from the run on both sides of the break until you see it all nice and shiny.
solder the piece of wire on either side of the break and voilà.
Make sure you ground yourself first. We usually do those repairs under a microscope but if you can, try and get a friend to hold a magnifying lense to enlarge the working area.
Any decent electronic shop could repair that break in a few minutes if there is one nearby for only a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom