Upgrading current PC to an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazz2323

Solid State Member
Ok, I had a recent change of plans on my PC upgrade thanks to everyones advice on this forum. I am now looking to get a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz CPU, some Corsair DDR2 memory (not sure exactly what yet), and a new motherboard since my old one was for an AMD CPU. My questions are as follows:

1) What is a good solid motherboard for the CPU I want to get? I need it to run cool as well without adding any additional cooling products. Is this one overkill? Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe. I read some reviews on it off Newegg.com and a number of people seemed to get defective boards not sure if that was when it first came out or what. Is there anything that is good thats maybe a step down or costs around $120-$150?

2) I have a 600Watt Enermax Noisetaker Power supply with two 12v rails and an overal rating of 35A will this be good enough if I go with a dual core CPU? Keep in mind I am using a Geforce 8800 GTX video card as well. All works fine on my current system:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 CPU
Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard
1 BFG Geforce 8800 GTX
Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme Fatality
Plextor DVDR PX-704A DVD R/W drive
2 Western Digital Raptors in a RAID 0 config
2 sticks (1gb each) of Dual Channel Corsair PC 3200 memory.

Thanks for any advice!

Thanks for the link, but what one of those should I choose lol! My head is swimming with the amount of motherboards out there. I do want to keep the budget down a bit so I'm looking at the ASUS P5B-E for $150. Anyone have any bad experiences with this board? Does it play well with Geforce 8800 gtx's in SLI? The P5B-Plus Vista Edition looks neat but I believe it was just released and it will be expensive. I'm not an overclocker but I want a stable board that stays cool and can handle future CPU upgrades like going Quad core.

Actually, on further investigation the boards you linked me do not support SLI it seems.

Ok, this will be my upgraded system:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4Ghz
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus Motherboard
1 BFG Geforce 8800 GTX
Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme Fatality
Plextor DVDR PX-704A DVD R/W drive
2 Western Digital Raptors in a RAID 0 config
2 sticks (1gb each) of Dual Channel Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 DDR2 800 PC 6400 memory

I want to do a fresh install of Vista Home Premium once this is all together.

1) Should I use the new beta drivers for this motherboard or stick to the windows XP ones?
2) How many drivers will Vista already install for me so I don't need to? For example, will the RAID drivers be in Vista? What about audio, LAN, and the chipset etc? Some of those are only beta so I assume not.
3)Should I upgrade BIOS when I get this motherboard if it is below a certain version? Will I have any problems with this configuration? Seems some people in posts had to manually adjust memory settings in BIOS with certain memory.
4)If not in Vista, do I have to rebuild the RAID array or something before I install the operating system or if I just format my drives (currently in a RAID configuration) will it just work as the same RAID?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom