Lian Li Or Coolermaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Lian Li and its fantastic. ...but that cooler master gets my vote, esp if you want something flashy...

Personally I think thats too much $ for a case...but go for it if you have the coin and a fancy system...

Sui said:
Hmmm :umm: how hot does your psu run?

it doesnt run at like 60*C like a gpu, but it puts out more heat. the reason chips get so hot is because of heat flux. heat flux is the amount of heat being released over a surface area. the smaller the suface area for the same amount of heat, the greater the heat flux. your psu puts out an enormous amount of heat, it doesnt get to 100*F+ because of a)the amount of surface area and b) the forced convection of the fans blowing on the electronics. put your hand on the exaust of your psu and then on the exaust of the pc, its significantly hotter..

EDIT: To clarify the heat flux point, lets say a psu has 10x more surface area than a cpu (thats a gross understatement) and it puts out 5x more heat, the heat flux is 1/2 that of a cpu and will have lower surface temperatures. a massive amount of heat is still being dumped into the surrounding area, it just isnt increasing the surface temperature of the psu by very much.

cwiz said:
put your hand on the exaust of your psu and then on the exaust of the pc, its significantly hotter.

Mine isn't significantly warmer, if I had to guess I'd say 2-3 degrees warmer(if I had a way to check I would). Yes I do understand what your saying, but I'm not sure about it generating the most heat in the case. Also a cpu would be the surface area of the heatsink - the loss between the core and HS(as is the case for a psu), design and also materials would also play a roll in the equation. I can't tell you what the equation is or what would be the end result, because that simply wasn't the path that I ended up on.

BTW the whole heat issue is kind of a moot point anyway, because that heat wouldn't be inside your case(except for an extremely small portion transfered through the metal), as the fan blows out unless you have an old PSU.

Sui said:
BTW the whole heat issue is kind of a moot point anyway, because that heat wouldn't be inside your case(except for an extremely small portion transfered through the metal), as the fan blows out unless you have an old PSU.

good point, i still dont like it down there though, never will :p

Sui said:
Also a cpu would be the surface area of the heatsink - the loss between the core and HS(as is the case for a psu), design and also materials would also play a roll in the equation. I can't tell you what the equation is or what would be the end result, because that simply wasn't the path that I ended up on.

Equation for conduction
Q=k*A*(delta-T)
the equation for convection is:
Q=h*S_A*(delta-T)
heat flux:
q=Q/S_A

k- conduction heat transfer coefficient
A- crossectional area
S_A- surface area
delta-T - temperature difference
h- convection heat transfer
Q- rate of heat transfer
q- heat flux

k is dependant on material properties (i.e. copper or silver has a way higher k than say steel or ceramic compounds)
h is dependant on the fluid's density to viscosity ratio, fluid velocity, specific heat capacity of the fluid, and the 'characteristic lenght' of the geometry (in most cases the fluid is air, but also water or antifreeze, etc). the primary reason water is better than air at cooling is because the specific heat capacity is much higher as well as the ratio of density to viscosity.

i dont see how this has to do with what we were talking about, but i'm bored. :)

cwiz said:
good point, i still dont like it down there though, never will :p

Equation for conduction
Q=k*A*(delta-T)
the equation for convection is:
Q=h*S_A*(delta-T)
heat flux:
q=Q/S_A

k- conduction heat transfer coefficient
A- crossectional area
S_A- surface area
delta-T - temperature difference
h- convection heat transfer
Q- rate of heat transfer
q- heat flux

k is dependant on material properties (i.e. copper or silver has a way higher k than say steel or ceramic compounds)
h is dependant on the fluid's density to viscosity ratio, fluid velocity, specific heat capacity of the fluid, and the 'characteristic lenght' of the geometry (in most cases the fluid is air, but also water or antifreeze, etc). the primary reason water is better than air at cooling is because the specific heat capacity is much higher as well as the ratio of density to viscosity.

i dont see how this has to do with what we were talking about, but i'm bored. :)

Bored and a nerd! Holy crap dude....

cwiz said:

lol Uhm you said that a psu puts out the most heat because of it having a large surface area, I basicly said anything with a heatsink has a large surface area.

Only real reason I like it down there is that it puts the heaviest thing at the very bottom, and it inverts the video card so you only need thermal paste instead of glue on vram sinks.

I really don't like that lian-li case though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom