Raid 1 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
Here is the setup. XP MCE
2-320gb hdd set up in raid 1 with the os on one partition along with apps
the other partition has the videos and pics etc.
If I want to upgrade the os to vista what will I need to do? Am I going to lose all the other things on my other partition? Someone said they would have done a raid 1 with the os on a whole other hdd but didn't say why? Is anyone knowledgeable enough to explain it to me and tell me what process I will have to go through? Thanks .

Do you want to keep your XP partition? If so, resize your storage partition, and split it up. Give Vista about 30gigs of space, and leave the rest to your storage. Install vista to the new 30gig partition, and you'll be able to dual boot.

If you don't want to keep the xp partition, backup whatever data you want off of there, format, and install vista to the old xp partition.

And what the guy said makes no sense, unless he was saying to add in two more hd's in raid 1 for your OS, and leave the other two in raid 1 for your storage.

That's probably what he was saying but he didn't say for sure.
I don't want to keep the xp version.
What will happen to the other partition that I have, the one with my docs etc. Will that be affected at all?

I recommend, personally, that you wait a while before getting Vista. We have had a lot of people having serious issues with Vista: things that stop working; things whose drivers are incompatible with Vista; things that *ought* to be p-n-p not working because Vista doesn't recognize them... just a lot of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom