Vista 32 bit or 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomie999

Beta member
hi geekz,
i m a newbie to this forum... i dont know whether this topic is already been posted... anyhow my question is......

i have a 64 bit processor (Conroe E6300)
ASUS 945 MOBO
1GB DDR2 RAM ,
XFX 7600 GT 256 MB GDDR3 Memory Graphics Card
Seagate 500GB HDD(250*2)
Altec Lansing MX5021 Speakers

and a XP pro , now i decide to jump on to Vista , but i dont know which
Vista is apt for me ... and which yields better performance (for eg :
64 bit is reported for its lack of drivers )

Also i dont know whether to keep the XP or not ......

So please help me out ...

Ste said:
Don't. VISTA is too buggy right now. Wait a few months for updates.
Okay first Vista is less buggy than XP was when it was first released. Plus there are thousands of people who have not had any problems with the switch. Vista isnt buggy the software and driver support is. That is NOT Microsoft's fault that they cant update their stuff even after Vista went final in November.

Also this topic has been done over and over again. Read the topics. Use the search function. Everyone has a different opinion. I personally Dual Boot but use Vista as my main OS.

Overall you will notice a bit of a hit since you have 1GB of memory and a 7600. With the RAM you will notice that Vista will lag a bit. 2GB would be better but 1GB can run Vista.

The 7600 is a DX9 card so you can do Aero but you can not take full advantage of DX10. Only people with a 8800 or ATi R600 can right now. Plus driver support for Vista and Video cards is shotty at best right now. They work but there are a few issues.

Overall the choice is yours. I personally love Vista. IT works great and i have had VERY few issues with it at all. My Video drivers and sound drivers are a bit buggy but they work. I am still able to game. So i personally dont have any issue with it.

I Consider Little Driver support Buggy. :p I still think he/she should wait a few months for more Patches/"Driver Support".

Me, won't touch Vista with a 10 foot pole until Crysis comes out.

Further more, if this was the Past, and everyone was Using 98 and 2000, and XP Came out, I woulda said the same thing. I don't care how buggy or un buggy an OS is at the start. If its new its Buggy. :p

Well you cant blame driver support on the OS. That isnt Microsoft's fault. Vista went RTM in Nov. Companies have had since then to get drivers et and ready for the Jan 30th release. I would say that ATi, nVidia and Creative are the ones to blame. Vista itself is stable. The support isnt. So what you consider buggy is just a lack of support.

Overall Vista has had few to no applicaiton problems. I have found only 2 applicaitons that i used to run that dont work. Everything else works jsut fine either while running Vista or in Compatability mode.

In a way you are right that they should wait till the support gets better. But dont mistake lack of support for bugs. Bugs are program glitches like Defender not working or The Uninstall applications not working. That would be a bug. Lack of drivers is not a true bug.

Gotta Remember. Vista has been in the making since July of 2005. They have had more than enough time to iron out almost all of the bugs that you and I would notice on a daily basis. The programmers would have more of a time noticeing the bugs than we would. But the average person, no.

^Well said^
I have found very few bugs as well. One that I can recall was the animation that plays on the "X" (close) button when you hover over it looped for a certain program... one time. Wimpy.

I personally would wait min 6 months before jumping to Vista. Xp is quite stable and works fine for me...why make the jump with the poor support and incorrect hardware? Is it really going to make your life that much better, or is it bragging rights?

1gb of RAM cant handle Vista? An operating system that uses that much is merely another money profiting scheme...

....Buy new OS = buy new computer.

If ANY of my applications didn't work with Vista, I wouldn't find that acceptable....

Not for me....yet...

vaderpro said:
I personally would wait min 6 months before jumping to Vista. Xp is quite stable and works fine for me...why make the jump with the poor support and incorrect hardware? Is it really going to make your life that much better, or is it bragging rights?

1gb of RAM cant handle Vista? An operating system that uses that much is merely another money profiting scheme...

....Buy new OS = buy new computer.

If ANY of my applications didn't work with Vista, I wouldn't find that acceptable....

Not for me....yet...
I did not say that 1GB cant handle Vista. I said you would notice Lag. That 2GB would be better.

2nd. As i have stated twice now. The software support is not Microsoft's problem. It has been final since Nov. If the software makers cant get their software to work on Vista after4 months nowm that is their problem. Why blame M$? Also having only 2 applications is not that big a deal. I found valuble replacements.

Buy OS odes NOT = Buy new PC. I have upgraded this PC well enoug to handle Vista. Why not use it? Why buy a new one for what this one is more than capable of doing. That is a flase statement if i ahve ever seen one. Why buy a big gaming rig to buy a new one with a new OS release?

So instead of placing the blame on M$ for hte applications and drivers, as i have stated now 3 times. Why not send some emails to the driver makers and software makers and ask them why after 4 months they dont have a working solution?

I have been using Vista for ages now and havent had any problems at all. I dont find it buggy at all and all games run fine for me. Some software you have may not be able to run as its not supported by Vista but as makaveli said this is not M$'s fault.

I'd still go for x86 as with x64 a lot of drivers are still missing. These will become more available after a while but for now i'd stick with 32 bit. Doesnt Vista come with x64 upgrade anyway? so you could do that when more drivers are available.

After using Vista for so many months now, i wouldnt go back to XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom