Taking apart a PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister_Meow

Solid State Member
I have an ancient gateway computer that I'm going to turn into a server. The only prob is the fan in the PSU is LOUD! I want to take the PSU apart and replace the fan with a quieter one but I didn't know if there are any electrical hazards I should be aware of before I go tearing in? Obiviously unplug it first but anything else? :) Thanks!

Very dangerious. Wear thick rubber gloves, if you don't its possible to get a shock that can cause death. (From the main capacitor)

Though, Its not worth the risk, just get used to the noise. Suck it up etc etc..

hmmm, maybe on second thought it ain't THAT loud... lol.Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll let it go. Boo!

nope capacitors can store a charge for a long time. TVs are even worse, you can get shocked to death by one that's been unplugged for a week. you can mod/open power supplies but you had damned well better know what you're doing. in Australia doing something like that is actually illegal unless you're a qualified electrical worker!!!

Wow did not know i kicked in a tv once that was sitting on the side of the road thank god it didnt shock me lol.

discharge while wearing rubber gloves with a voltmeter that can handle the voltage thus the psu board wont fry. Then use a can of air to get rid of the dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom