Sli Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

konvick619

Baseband Member
ok im planning to build my first pc but the parts i chosed are all sli supported such the ram motherboard psu and video card but the thing is i dont plan on going sli with the video card i chose. is their any disadvantages of have lots of sli supported parts with out going sli with the video card? is there any point of buyin sli supported parts and not go sli? thanks for the help

the only disadvantage is the cost difference.
and also some sli boards will ahve overclocking features that non-sli don't. i guess that is in part why they cost more.

For the most part SLI and the parts around it just aren't worth the money. Just more money, more wattage, and more heat. Only in a few circumstances should you ever want to try to do SLI.

konvick619 said:
ok im planning to build my first pc but the parts i chosed are all sli supported such the ram motherboard psu and video card but the thing is i dont plan on going sli with the video card i chose. is their any disadvantages of have lots of sli supported parts with out going sli with the video card?

1) The PSU being SLI-certified just means it has enough power to run most SLI setups, according to manufacturer. It will work well with a normal system, but sometimes companies charge more for the PSU because of the SLI-ready sticker. The PSU you choose will depend on how much power your system needs.

2) I don't see how the RAM can be SLI ready, though. Memory doesn't have any relation whatsoever to SLI.

3) Concerning the video card, pretty much every mid-range and above card has SLI capabilities, so it's not like there's an alternative anyway (ie: there's no cheaper non-SLI version of a particular card). Just get the SLI card.

4) Finally, the motherboard is the only point where there may be a difference. For SLI, you need the motherboard to have an nVidia chipset*. But if you're getting an Intel Core 2 Duo for your new computer, you'd be better off with a motherboard with an Intel chipset, which doesn't support SLI (even if it has two PCIe slots). SLI motherboards are also usually more expensive.

*The chipset is the part of the motherboard in charge of the communication between CPU, RAM, video card, etc.

Re: Re: Sli Question?

Meithan said:

2) I don't see how the RAM can be SLI ready, though. Memory doesn't have any relation whatsoever to SLI.

what you havent seen the Vista ready Monitors lolol. they put these stickers on everything to suck people in thinking it will be more compatible and they get to put a bigger price tag on it too. i saw in comp usa a Vista ready sticker on a monitor lol, tell me how much sense that doesnt make.

Don't know how much you want to spend, but screw SLI - the 8800 GTS with 320 MB just came out for $300. You'd get better performance than 2 7900 GS's for the same price. If you have more to spend, go for one of the 8800 GTX's. There is a sticky about the SLI config, you get 20% increase in fps over just a single card (on the games you get any at all)... not worth it.

dknight1234 said:
Don't know how much you want to spend, but screw SLI - the 8800 GTS with 320 MB just came out for $300. You'd get better performance than 2 7900 GS's for the same price. If you have more to spend, go for one of the 8800 GTX's. There is a sticky about the SLI config, you get 20% increase in fps over just a single card (on the games you get any at all)... not worth it.

did you read his post at all?? he did nothing but say hes not going sli. you cant give informative information if you cant read the original post correctly. not bashing you but just read and understand the question at hand first, otherwise people cant trust future information you provide. cuz convincing someone not to go sli who said they arent going sli is a waste of breath.

dknight1234 said:

How can you say there is only a 20% increase when nVidia boasts about an "80% performance gain over a single-card graphics solution"?

King X13 said:
did you read his post at all?? he did nothing but say hes not going sli. you cant give informative information if you cant read the original post correctly. not bashing you but just read and understand the question at hand first, otherwise people cant trust future information you provide. cuz convincing someone not to go sli who said they arent going sli is a waste of breath.

Oh. Sorry, OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom