How to add a printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrowinski

Baseband Member
Hi I need help on how to add a printer from another domain.

I have 2 domains within my company they are both linked via vpn

1 of the domains contains some programs that the users from the 2nd domain use remotely & they would then like to print to thier own printers. Is that possible?

Thanks
Hermann

depends on what type of vpn softwar eyour useing and is it at the hardware lvl or vpn installed on the pc its self

if you are useing the nortel connectivity client it blocks all ports but port 80 and i think the port 25 and 110 is open.

All systems are Windows Server 2003 (thats where the printers are installed).
The VPN is through Cisco 501 PIX at each site.
port 80, 25 and 110 are open for email and internet

ex out my last comment so you are shareing printers from the windows 2003 server can you ping the server try \\serveripaddresshere in your browser if you can hit this then right click on the printer you want and click connect if you cannot ping this server then you may need to port forward your ip of the server across the vpn/firewall

I can ping boh the server and printer on the other domain.
from both cmd and ie

How do I do this "then right click on the printer you want and click connect "

In the add printer wizard
I have choosen 'connect to a printer on the internet or on a home or office network'
I can insert the ip address of the server and then the username and password screen appears.
I enter those details and then get an error message 'windows cannot connect to the printer, operation could not be completed'

This does not suprise me as its the server ip address
when I try the printer ip address \\192.168.2.250
i get a different error message

ok when you have a server that is shareing the printers you should beable to to do a \\ipaddy and view the shared directories or printers on that server once you find the printer you want then right click on the icon for that specific printer and click connect

dont even worry about add new printer just browse to the server and find the icon on the server for the printer you want. then connect it by useing right click and connect this is the same but easier than add new printer

pmctech said:
ok when you have a server that is shareing the printers you should beable to to do a \\ipaddy and view the shared directories or printers on that server once you find the printer you want then right click on the icon for that specific printer and click connect

Thank You
I finally got this to work.

Cheers for you help
Hermann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom