If I build this ... will it currently work with Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazz2323

Solid State Member
Planned System Specs:

A FRESH install of Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual core CPU
Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard
1 BFG Geforce 8800 GTX
Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme Fatality
Plextor DVDR PX-704A DVD R/W drive
2 Western Digital Raptors in a RAID 0 config
2 sticks of Dual Channel Corsair PC 3200 memory.

I already ran the windows upgrade advisor and all seems fine save for the soundcard but I've read/heard of numerous issues with hardware and drivers. So my question is, if I build this system (its more of an upgrade/build) right now will I have problems with stuff like the motherboard it's chipset, and its onboard LAN card, the RAID setup, the sound card (vista beta drivers out), Video card (vista beta drivers), or DVD drive?

I was going to wait but I have an ASUS A8n-SLI Deluxe and the small chipset fan is going on it. From what I understand I'll need to take the motherboard out anyway to change it so I might do the upgrade now. If my system will not be able to work well enough to play games like EQ2, or Gothic III, I'm gonna wait. Anyone who has a similar setup with Vista please let me know.

Thanks!

Assuming you're not using 128MB sticks of RAM, yeah, I'd say you could support Vista.

However, if you're going to build an AMD rig, go with AM2 Sockets. This is an Asus, it has 1 more PCI-E x1, but 1 less PCI slot. 2 less SATA slots, but I didn't think you'll be using 6 HD's any time soon.
Vid Card's good, I don't think the sound card matters, and the disc drive's good.

If your budget permits, go with this RAM setup. Faster than your's, and probably more. Dual Channel, too. Next, how big of a Hard Drive do you need? I don't think you need 10,000 RPM, do you? 7200 isn't that bad. I think I run with 4600 RPM on my laptop. Anyways, if you can stand the blow to RPM, go with this. Cheaper than the 37.5GB 10,000RPM Hard Drive, same price as the 80GB of the same sort as the WD Caviar (the one I suggested).

Vista Home Premium sounds great. What case are you using? Don't skimp on it; You'll be staring at it for a while.

Sorry, wasn't clear on the memory. I have two 1gb sticks of PC 3200 dual channel totaling 2 gig of RAM. I have a great case, It's an Aspire Xnavigator and has a 20mm side panel fan that pulls
heat out, a fan on the top of the case also blowing heat out, and 2 rear case fans along with a front fan as well. My current system with two Geforce 7800 GTX's in SLI, and an AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 stayed around 35 - 40 degrees at full load.

Well, here is the deal, I am not really building a new PC, its just a small upgrade per say. I have 2 PC's and the 2nd PC will get some modifications and hand me downs from my current PC. I don't have the cash to get a Dual Core duo and a corresponding Motherboard to go with it. They are still close to a grand just for the CPU right? I just wanted to get in the dual core market with an inexpensive small upgrade. I took advantage of this deal since it came with a copy of Windows Vista: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2901402&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

I hope I didnt make a mistake now :(
Should I have gone with this instead? Is it much better?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2341562

Anyway, I only purchased a new motherboard the (ASUS A8N32-SLI socket 939) to put in my current PC and use the other motherboard (ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe socket 939) to pop in my second PC with my current Athlon FX-57 chip.
So, I already own everything save for the new CPU and an extra Motherboard. I saw the link above, but do I need new memory if I got the Intel Dual Core CPU instead or will my Corsair PC 3200 dual channel sticks work? What would be a good motherboard for the Intel Dual Core? Ack did I make a mistake? HELP :)

uhhh...a core 2 duo e6300 is like 180 bucks.
the p5b mobo is like 125 i think.
you wont be able to use ddr ram with a c2d, tho.
BUT...
if you want to keep the s939...you can get a x2 3800 or 4200 and clock them to at least (and further) than the fx-60 stock of 2.6
they are a bit cheaper. an opteron 165 will clock much higher than the x2's also, so it would be even better. but you will not get as good a super pi time, lol.
the fx 60 is a great chip, but with intels c2d and all the other options amd has that are cheaper and clock just as high...the fx-60 is pretty much overpriced.

Why not just get the video card, RAM and OC your current FX? You could get the same speed out of the 57 that you'd see with the 60, without spending 400 dollars. Vista is only 120 on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom