computer freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

proevoman

Solid State Member
Not really sure where to put this so i just stuck it in here.

About 80% of the times i boot my computer it freezes almost immediately as i reach the windows desktop. This can get **** annoying as it can result in me having to turn off at the power and restarting up to something like 6 times in a row.

When the desktop loads up it doesn't freeze when the little red ati icon appears in the icon tray. Is this something to do with drivers or something else?

How long has this been happening? And what are your Specs?
If it's just been a short time that its been going on have you tried to do a system restore to an earler time. If that dosnt help then its likley a hardware problem. Can you get it to boot the first time in safe mode F8?

Its been happening ages now but seems worse recently. I tried getting on in safe mode and that seemed to work alright.

Not sure what kinda detail u want for the specs
P4 3.2GHz with ht
1Gb DDR
200Gb hd (running low at the mo)
256mb x800
need anything else?

It's most likely a drivers issue. But I'd check the "Event viewer" for errors and see if you have an application or device driver that is causing the freezing at start up. To open event viewer, go to Start>Run>type "eventvwr" and press enter. Click on "Application", and if you see an error corresponding to the time and date you had the freeze, double-click on it and it will show you more information. Post it here,ok?

ok i did the event viewer thing and there doesn't seem to be any difference between a freeze and a normal start. Each time 2 events are started, ATI smart and Security center.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but recently got CoH and that seems to freeze a lot of times just as the loading has finished.

Hi. What's "CoH"? Also, do you hear any beeps when you start your PC? Like long and/or short patterns? You said this has been going on for ages...How long precisely? More than six months??? Do you remember if this started after making any hardware or software changes? What kind of video card do you have?
"When the desktop loads up it doesn't freeze when the little red ati icon appears in the icon tray." What do you mean by that?

CoH is 'company of heroes'. When the comp freezes i get beeping noises if i move the mouse around (i can only sometimes do this but can never click on anything). There is usually on one beep every 10 seconds if i move the mouse.

Its probably been going on for a year but started off a rarity and now as i said happens quite a lot. i have an ati x800. i think the problem might have started from downloading new drivers but cant remember exactly. however i always download the latest drivers and the problem persists.

What i mean is that when the comp loads up onto the desktop i know straight away if it has frozen because of the small ati icon appearing on the bottom right section of the screen. If it appears the computer is not frozen, if it doesn't appear the computer is frozen.

thanks very much for the help by the way, appreciate it.

Hi! Well, I think it's definitely a drivers issue; a video card drivers issue. You said that when you boot into Safe Mode you don't have any problems, right? IF so, then you have a drivers or application problem in this case related to your Video Card. LEt me ask you this: That ATI icon on your systray, it corresponds to what? What is it exactly that it's loading? An ATI application?
When I said if you hear any beeps, I meant immediately after you turn on your PC, after two seconds. If so, you need to pay attention to the pattern like I said before and post it here,ok? If you don't have any beeps, have you tested your RAM sticks? You can run memtest86, it takes long hours but it is the most precise tools to determine if RAM is bad, which cause lock ups or crashes. You can download it for free at www.memtest86.com, create a floppy disk or a bootable CD, insert it in the CD drive and start the PC...let it run overnight and even longer. I'd try to uninstall the video card and all its applications and drivers and resintall everything from zero...Did the Video Card come with a CD with drivers? If so, just install drivers, no applications for now and try to boot normally. Post back with results and more info,ok? Good Luck!

the ati icon is the ati catalyst control center. I cant hear any beeps when the computer loads so i will try the ram thing. cheers for the help.

Do the RAM test to rule it out, and to make sure you have good RAM otherwise you're gonna start having problems very soon. But I think that you should consider the last part of my previous post as the main probme/solution (I mean, it's a drivers/application issue) Try again Safe Mode and uninstall ATI. Post back with results and/or any questions. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom