Vista/Office problems... come inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StillwaterIT

In Runtime
Sometimes when I do cell formatting in excel, like adding borders, or bolding the text, it will sit and think for about 3-4 full seconds, then complete the operation I want to do. Whats also wierd, is that during these 3-4 second 'thinking' periods, my network traffic will jump around from 0kb/sec to ~20-30kb/sec, then stop once the 'thinking' is done. It's not a fluke, it happens every time.

Also printing in Vista via a shared printer on the network (running xp), is extremely slow. I have the same sort of 'thinking' when I change options, click print, format the print job, etc. Every time I change something, it 'thinks' for 3-4 seconds. Printing a paper in fast-draft in black and white can take up to 30 seconds to get it all set up to send to printer because of the constant 'thinking'.

I've got 2gb ram, a fresh vista install, an overclocked athlon64, etc etc, so that should not be the problem.

IT isnt Vista. It is the network. It is connecting with a older network and therefor will take time to "Translate" what it wants done to a language the network can understand.

Gotta understand Vista was written with a new netowrk language which isnt recognized by XP. So those "thinking" pauses are really Vista translating and dumbing down what it wants done for XP to understand.

Alright, well that sucks.

So what about the excel problem? Any ideas why the program itself would bog down while doing cell formatting or copy/paste or other menial tasks? Also, why does my ethernet card show a big increase in upload traffic when this happens? The two go hand in hand for some reason...

Ok, I've narrowed it down to cells that have formulas or macros in them, and it does it 100% of the time when I copy/paste a cell that contains a formula or reference to another cell. Anyone reading this?

Figured it out... by a matter of luck...

As I was closing a word document just now, it hung, and at the bottom toolbar were the words "Connecting to Printer...". It stayed like that for 3-4 seconds, then closed.

So that gets me thinking. I open up control panel -> printers, and delete my network printer. I open up excel and word, and BOOM, no lag whatsoever.

So for some reason, whenever you copy/paste excel cells with formulas, or format cells for the first time, or close out excel or word, it wants to 'connect to printer'. Why the heck does it do that anyway?

So at least I know what is causing the slowdown, but now I'm confused why closing a program, or copy/pasting, etc would make the software want to connect to anything? I may install office 2003 on here just to see if it's a vista thing or specifically related to office 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom