Upgrade Processor Now or Wait Till Direct X10 and Vista are Mainstream and Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diaa

Solid State Member
Hey guys what do you think of this idea:

I have been considering keeping my current build, (except for the processor which I plan to upgrade) for another year and a half or so until Direct X10 and Vista become mainstream. Then I was going to replace my mobo, graphics card, and processor.

Question 1: Does that sound like a good idea?

I'm running:

Running Windows XP X64 edition
(1) Radeon X850 XT
(2) Gigs Corsair DDR ram
Asus 8AN-Sli Deluxe Mobo
10,000 rpm 80 gig Raptor Drive (Windows and games on this Drive)
7,000 rpm 250 gig Drive (For file storage)
1.81Ghz AMD Athalon Processor *
Logitec Z-5300e 5.1 THX 5.1 Surround System
Asus 8AN-Sli Deluxe Mobo

I've had some trouble figuring out which processor was compatible with my system (a friend helped me build this one). I did figure out though that it is 939 pin.

Question 2: Are these processors compatible, and which do you guys recommend?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...t=ENE&Nty=1&Description=939+Processor&Ntk=all

Thanks!

ya thats a good plan ur system is fine for xp, so wait til SP1 on vista and i'll buy ur x850 maybe(emphasis on maybe!!) when u get dx 10 and vista

i think ur compatible and opt for an opteron (lol had to say that was a bad joke sorry!!) when its upgrade time, but seriously opteron is good

Thanks vernong

Anyone recommend one of those processors, and how can I tell if its compatible?

The opteron 165 is clocked at 1.8 ghz, aren't I think that I am running that now with my Winchester AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8 GHz Socket 939 cpu?

Why did you go with that one, and how can I check compatibility, or is that just by socket # (I know my Asus Mobo is socket 939)?

Thanks again for being patient with me, I am still a beginner in all of this.

What does it mean when new egg designates it as Server instead of desktop?

Can I still use the opteron though its labeled server?

Many people use opty's as a desktop. A server chip is just made to run a server better than a standard desktop chip. That doesnt mean however they still can't kick *** on a desktop without a server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom