how much does it matter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
hey all.
what is the actual impact of psu on overclocking?
i have a coolmax 500W and i haven't had any problems with it.
the voltage does fluctuate in cpuz, but i have not tested it with a meter.
it seems i hit a (solid) wall at about 2.9 with my overclock.
now, i don't know if it is my mobo or my cpu...but i haven't seen to many 4200's farther than 2.8 or so. i am inclined to think that my mobo does not like high ext. cpu clock...could be like the 680i boards, and i would have better results with a x13 multiplier (mine is x11), or the unlocked fx (lol, cha ching yah right).
so, i am wondering...does my psu play a large part in my overclock?
i know it is important in the big scheme of things...
does anyone have a 4200 that can clock over the 2.8-9 point?
if so, please list your specs and settings...and what psu you have.

I have a X2 4200 well I haven't really tried to oc it because I just finished building it and haven't yet got the need to oc but I have used the overclocking tool that came with my mobo from windows but I only got to about 2.5-2.55 then it freezed I think this can be due to my psu because its only a cheap 350W and maybe my RAM its ddr2 667 and also a cheap brand
and what do you think of my temps the cpu is 36C and ambient temp is 32C that is with a stock cooler

I doubt your PSU plays much of a factor in your OC. As long as everyone has ample power then it's up to the part itself to do it's job. A crappy one most certainly could hold you back though if it's not giving parts the power they need to run at higher speed.

Camshaft said:
I have a X2 4200 well I haven't really tried to oc it because I just finished building it and haven't yet got the need to oc but I have used the overclocking tool that came with my mobo from windows but I only got to about 2.5-2.55 then it freezed I think this can be due to my psu because its only a cheap 350W and maybe my RAM its ddr2 667 and also a cheap brand
and what do you think of my temps the cpu is 36C and ambient temp is 32C that is with a stock cooler

yeah your ram is proly holding you back from going higher. you may try seting it to 533mhz.
those temps are fine.
with as5 and a zalman my cpu idles around 28-30ish.
more important are the load temps, but with idle temps like yours you should be okay.
windows overclocking utilities are notoriously no bueno.
do it through the bios...it works better, it's safer, and i can help you figure out what to set everything to.

AMD's SOI usually hits the wall at a specific speed - perfectly normal.

yeah, thats what i figured. i mean, the world record x2 4200 is only like 3.5 or something and we are talking major mods to reach that high.

thanks guys. i think i'll stick with my coolmax psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom