Windows Explorer Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running Windows XP Professional SP2.

Every single file on that drive is video, it's where i store all the anime or TV shows i've downloaded.

I ran the properties of the folders in the drive and i've got 147GB, 20 folders, 613 files.

Any more information i'll be happy to give out, some of the folders are empty, where i've deleted files. I could also try and do some sort of file structure thing that shows the exact folders and what folders crash when i open them if you want as its only some and not others.

do you have a thumbs.db file in that direcotry?

also what view do you use? Thumbnails or something else? if your using thumbnails, switch to details and see if that does anything different. Also, if you can't open the dir (which I know you've said) use command prompt to delete thumbs.db

I searched for a thumbs.db in the C:\ drive, it didn't find anything.

I changed the view from thumbnails to details, that seems to solve the problem of it crashing when opening the folder. None of the folders seem to do that anymore.

But when right clicking or trying rename some of the files i will get the same error. I'm assuming this is because it's trying to load from the file, and was the same while the folder was trying to load the first frame of the file to view as a thumbnail, but in details it doesnt do that.

Am i right?

never tried to rename, it just crashes while I was deciding which file to watch. and the files had a preview(screen shot)

I wonder how it can be fixed, as i can easily view any of the files if i open up VLC then open the file.

sorry for not responding for a few days...

seems that the thumbnail view was the problem for part of it.
Do any of the files have really long names?

also, to find the thumbs file, you need to enable hidden files view. what you can do is:
open CMD.exe
cd driveletter:\
cd folder\folder (to where ever the files are)
dir /a:h thumbs.db /s
attrib -H path\thumbs.db (for eaach file)
del path\thumbs.db

see if that helps.

The files i got are TV series i've downloaded to watch from the US, for example i've got Lost.S03.E01 and some of them maye have the episode name or something like [HDTV] afterwards so i wouldnt say that long.

Problem is, when i go to rename them it will crash!

Also, for some reason, when i run CMD from Start > Run, i type cd C:\ and for some reason it won't change directory, any ideas why?

When i type cd c: it will put c: underneath, but then return to E:\ or E:\Document and Settings\Scott etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom