Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't go SLI, There's really no advantage to it at all. It's much better to buy one high end card than two medium level cards.

Isn't it the same principle as dual channel, though?

Either way, I'm only getting one card when I build this (the 8600 Ultra, assuming the price is what they say it is...), and I'll get another card later, about the same time I get another gig of RAM.

The 8600 will do fine with just one in there. Then you can upgrade later if you're not happy with it.

I recommend that you build your system all at once. However, if you can't do that, do it in this order.

~ B-Day 1 ~
OS ($119.99)
Optical Drive ($24.20)
120mm Fan ($6.99)
Case ($79.99)
PSU ($89.99)

~ Christmas 1 ~
Motherboard ($74.99)
Hard Drive ($62.99)
RAM ($74.99)

~ B-Day 2 ~
Processor ($239.99)
Video Card ($169.99)

~ Christmas 2 ~
Monitor ($179.99)

M733, Should I still go with the SLI Mobo? It also has 2 PCI-E x16, 2 PCI-E x1, and 2 PCI slots. That's 1 More PCI-E x16, and 2 less PCI. is that good? What else uses PCI-E x16, and what uses PCI?

I also need a cheap 108mbps Wireless chip. Is this one any good? It's only $9.99 After Mail-In rebate.

So as to even out the prices, can I do it like this?

~ B-Day 1 ~
OS ($119.99)
120mm Fan ($6.99)
Case ($79.99)
PSU ($89.99)

~ Christmas 1 ~
Motherboard ($74.99)
Video Card ($169.99) (From B-Day 2)
RAM ($74.99)

~ B-Day 2 ~
Processor ($239.99)
Hard Drive ($62.99) (From Christmas 1)
Optical Drive ($24.20) (From B-Day 1)

~ Christmas 2 ~
Monitor ($179.99)

Okay, completely separate thought.

I've recently read that the Intel Processor I had on before was very overclockable (many reviews on newegg say that they have gone over 3GHz). Would I be better off with that, and this cheaper mobo (which also has more slots)?
INTEL
Mobo
Processor

AMD
Mobo
Processor

Also, is it hard to learn how to overclock? Could you point me in the direction of a good guide on how to do so?

~ B-Day 2 ~
Processor ($239.99)
Video Card ($169.99)

The reason that I put it like this is for you is to get the best performance/price ratio for your computer.

Plus these two are the most important and expensive parts, after
1 year you probably won't be buying the same things that you want to get right now, you'll probably be getting a quad-core cpu, and a video card twice as fast as the one now for the same price.

If you really could, you should also try to buy the motherboard as late as possible too. 6 months between buying the cpu and motherboard is a long time, they might come out with a newer cpu socket type by then.

This way by the time you finish building your computer, it won't be
out-dated.

So, you're saying...
~ B-Day 1 ~
OS ($119.99)
120mm Fan ($6.99)
Case ($79.99)
PSU ($89.99)

~ Christmas 1 ~
Processor ($239.99)
Video Card ($169.99)

~ B-Day 2 ~
Motherboard ($74.99)
RAM ($74.99)
Hard Drive ($62.99)
Optical Drive ($24.20)

~ Christmas 2 ~
Monitor ($179.99)

...?

I can't get both the video card AND processor for Christmas, and I want to get the motherboard right after those two, that way I know that I have the best CPU at that time (probably the best I'll need, they can't make games for the top-of-the-line, $4000 PC's, not enough of a crowd there.), and a compatible motherboard. The Video Card I want will be out within the next 3 months, so it really doesn't matter.

I'm not that worried about it being outdated, It'll still look (and perform) better than the beige oldies-but-goodies-style case we have downstairs.

I'm seriously considering going with the Intel, just 'cause 3GHz sounds much more tempting than 2.6GHz.

Are there any good guides for overclocking, or am I going to have to learn myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom