Can an A64 memory controller be half-defective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousYellow

Baseband Member
Hello I am in the process of building an HTPC and I am having a problem running dual-channel memory with my Athlon 64 3200+. The motherboard is a DFI Infinity RS482 matx. When I start the computer, nothing happens at all, nothing coming up on the screen. If I put only one stick of ram in it will boot fine. I know the ram works because I tested it in a diff computer plus I tried 2 other kits on this mobo. I RMA'd the mobo, got a new one back and it is still doing the same thing. This processor worked fine in my old computer, I pulled it out when I upgraded to a X2 3800 and it has just sat in a plastic container on the desk, not being dropped or anything. Please Help!!

hmm maybe the ram isnt compatable with your motherboard,, check the manufacturers website and see or try other ram in dual channel

The website is very specific and only states what memory is recommended for overclocking. I am using 2x 512mb OCZ Platinum Rev2 PC3200 memory. I have also tried 2x 1gb OCZ Platinum EL PC3200 and 2x 512mb OCZ PC3200 Performance Rev3, all of them the same result. I know the Plat Rev2 is popular with DFI boards, so I dont see why it wouldnt work

Well, I just answered my own question. I eventually said to **** with it and I swapped CPU's with my other system. I put my X2 3800 into this computer and it worked perfectly. I put the 3200+ in my other rig, and low and behold, only one memory channel would work. So there you have it, the story of the CPU with only half a memory controller. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom