Better To Blow In More Air Or Blow Out More Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's better to have an equal amount of intake and exhaust. For example, if you have 2 intakes, you should have 2 exhaust.

im not with the equal strategy, i believe if you can pump a load of air in that hits vital components, they will run cooler. The way i have my case setup reflects this, i have 2 exhaust fans including PSU and 5 ish intake fans. The air finds its way out somehow, cause i basically disected one side of my pc and replaced it with a wire grill! I run an E6600 at 3.4 at less than 30 degrees, prove me wrong!

me, i got one exhaust fan, 1 new psu fan, and a 90mm fan i just put in my plexi on the side.

i would say that its better to be equal, just because if there is negative pressure in the case, it makes the exhaust fans work harder, and thus be louder, same concept with intake. if there is positive pressure in the case the intake fans will be loud. so i try to keep it equal or atleast tone down the exhaust fans and put my intake fan on max.

another thing: if you have say 3 exhaust fans and 1 intake, a fan filter will do nothing on the intake because air is going in other places, so if you have filters on your intake fans, its better to have more intake than exhaust because you dont have unfiltered air coming inside of the case.

Definatly not push air in. Once its in, the hot air just circulates around. If its air out, cold air is sucked in and air circulates a little bit. Equal circulates air in and out evenly like a small wind tunnel.

I have a front 80mm intake fan blowing accorss 3 HDD's towards a bottom rear exhaust fan. In middle of my case I also have an 80mm side exhaust fan. I had another one next to it for intake on the chipset, but turned it off, because blowing in/out next to each other kinda defeats the purpose I guess lol.

I will flip over my rear fan (exhaust) and see what happens to my temps if I use it as intake. So I will then have 2 intake and only the PSU as exhaust. My current temps are too high. Will post results later on.
I have 1x 120mm intake at the front and 1x 120mm exhaust at the back.

Current temps:

CPU 50C idle @ 20% fan speeds (case + cpu fan). CPU 54C load @ 100% fan speeds.
Chipset (passive HS) 37C idle @ 20% case fan speeds. Chipset 40C load @ 100% fan speeds.

My temps drop 5C if I remove the side panel.

Update: I turned it over. Now let's wait and see. I want to know the idle temp with 20% fans speed. Gonna wait until the temps stop climbing.

Looks like my CPU dropped from 50C to 47C/48C. My chipset was 37C, now it is 43C.

Gonna put it back as exhaust. I think my CPU can handle higher temps. My NB has a passive heatsink.

Ofcourse I could also flip over my front fan to create better airflow for my chipset, but I don't have a dust filter at the back, and my HDD's would get hotter.

they are equally important... you can only exaust what has been put in and u can only put air in as fast as it leaves. a good thing to remember is that hot air rises. you want cold air being drawn in from the bottom/front/side fans and exausted from the back and blowhole. it creates the most efficient air flow patterns allowing the air to act naturally with its boyancy

TheMajor: you will probably get lower temps when you turn the exaust to blow in on the mobo because the cool air is blowing directly on the cpu hsf. when you draw air in from the front, it often collects heat from the hdd's.
I have my 2 raptors infront of an 80mm intake in the front, my side 120mm fan blowing in directly above my 7900GT and the radiator for my w/c system blowing out the back.
the blowhole on top exausts any heat from the psu, disk drives, and any lingering hot air:rolleyes:

better have more exhaust than intake, as it forces the case to have a negative air pressure and the air inside the case stays moving therefore not stagnant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom