8800GTS 320MB released today !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
aside from 64 megs more of ram which cant possible matter, an a 64bit more memory interface which also cant possible matter to much, and stupid DX10 which is irrelevant at the moment, how is this better then a 1950xt ?? its core is over a 100mhz slower and its memory is 200mhz slower. whats the point? might as well spend a 100 more and get the no frills version.

I was under the impression that the 8800s ran on a new architecture that sped them up compared to the older architectures (7000 line and 1900 line) Please correct me if I am wrong.

Basically the same idea that the Clock speed on processors which are faster than others are slower, ergo clock speed no longer matters.

Please tell me if I am making no sense so I can shut my mouth =P

All I have to say is I wish I waited and bought one of these. It'll be nice when DirectX10 is more widely used and these kinds of cards are on the same level the 7600 is right now. I can't wait to see how graphically ridiculous games start getting soon.

JoshSB said:
I was under the impression that the 8800s ran on a new architecture that sped them up compared to the older architectures (7000 line and 1900 line) Please correct me if I am wrong.

You're quite correct, actually.

The GeForce 8 line of GPUs is very different from the older families. Instead of having specific processing units (vertex/pixel shaders, texture units, etc), each doing one job, the GPUs now feature a large collection of "unified shader processors". Instead of having specific pipelines doing some function, there's now a unified pipeline that can be "programmed" (by the app being run).

Clock speed of the core / memory cannot be used an indicator of performance (and it never has been the case in the past either... pixel pipelines and shader units were usually a better indicator; but now it'll be too difficult to compare pipelines across GPU families).

They are an excellent step towards the future of DX10. They are very powerful for the money as it seems with more memory and DX10 capability than an X1950XT, but also around 60 bucks more.

King X13 said:
aside from 64 megs more of ram which cant possible matter, an a 64bit more memory interface which also cant possible matter to much, and stupid DX10 which is irrelevant at the moment, how is this better then a 1950xt ?? its core is over a 100mhz slower and its memory is 200mhz slower. whats the point? might as well spend a 100 more and get the no frills version.

Core speed and memory are not every thing.

The 8800GTS has 320bit memory interface vs 256bit of X1950XT, and 8800GTS has higher memory bandwidth

The 8800GTS has 96 stream processors and it uses unified shader processors, which is much better than the standard pipleline used in X1950XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom