Uninstall steam=big problem :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastshot

In Runtime
I just had a problem with Steam not loading, so I decided to uninstall it. It uninstalled slowly and right before I went to reinstalled it I noticed a big problem. All the folders around it were gone! All my music, movies and games are GONE! Only a few folders have been left, like photoshop and such. This was on My (D) drive, all the programs and stuff on the (C) drive is still there. Is there anyway to get back all those files? I'm missing ALOT of stuff, and I need alot of it for school... Can anybody help me get these files back?

Ok, I was looking around and found out 2 things.
1) I just freed up about 10 gb's of space off the (d) drive...so the files are probably permanently gone.
2) Steam will not let me delete it, it is being stubborn. Could it have gone BAD?

lastshot said:
1) I just freed up about 10 gb's of space off the (d) drive...so the files are probably permanently gone.
2) Steam will not let me delete it, it is being stubborn. so I deleated it through Command...

lastshot said:
2) Steam will not let me delete it, it is being stubborn. Could it have gone BAD?
1) this is not necessarily true. But if you write anything to that drive it will be. You need to use some recovery software on that drive before you do anythign with it to recovery the data.
2) Have you restarted in Safe Mode and tried to delete it?

Makaveli213 said:
1) this is not necessarily true. But if you write anything to that drive it will be. You need to use some recovery software on that drive before you do anythign with it to recovery the data.
2) Have you restarted in Safe Mode and tried to delete it?

1) :mad: I already did write files back to that drive, I used some software to get my music off the ipod back to the itunes music folder(which had to be remade D:) And everything else isn't as important.( besides pictures and school work ,I have all my essays and Midterms backed up incase something like this happends). I guess i can just re-install all the games later....

2) Restarted into safe mode and was able to delete steam. I aslso checked to make sure it wasn't running when i tried to delete it, and it wasn't. It makes me wonder why it turned stubborn on me :confused:

It did cause when a application is running and you try to delete it there turns out to be problems. You may have shut it down but if you would look at the task manager and ther services running i can almost bet you would ahev found Steam running.

I looked at the porcesses, and maybe it was hiding near the bottom inbetween all those SYSTEM processes. Besides all those, all I saw was explorer.exe, aolsoftware.exe,ccap.exe.......... So ya,maybe it was running....

Next time go Start>Run>msconfig.

That will show you all the processes running even the hidden ones. Not all processes are shown running in the Task Manager. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom