Replacement (quieter) fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sell224

Baseband Member
I own an Alienware Aurora 7500 PC, all stock except a new video card (x1900xtx). I am going to college next year and am planning on bringing this monster with me, but the one problem with it is it is very loud.

I have considered getting water cooling systems, but I am very not experienced and scared of them.

So.. I am thinking about replacing the fans in my computer with some more silent ones. Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction of what sort of fans I should buy? I'm going to open up my computer after I post this and count what exactly I will need and such.

Thanks!

I have no experience with watercooling so I can't help you there. What size of fans does it take? Scythe, Nexus, and Noctua all make pretty silent fans. Here's a site that might help you, since computer noise is all they deal with.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Thanks for the site! I'll take a loot at it.

I checked out my comp.. Basically I have 4 fans (well one is part of the power supply so I'm not exactly sure if that counts.)

The one above the heatsink said this: 12VDC Ball Bearing www.ajigo.com

The one on the side of the case said this: Cooler Master 12V .15A Rifle

And the third fan is part of my x1900xtx. I dont plan on replacing that really unless it is easy.

I got thinking as I had my case open.. there was SO much free space. I don't plan on upgrading my computer for a while, and all that free space just seems to be going to waste. I am already annoyed by how big my computer is, so I started thinking, why not just buy a new chassis with a very quiet cooling system and put everything I have in my alienware in there? (I am pretty sure my warentee is void in this thing anyways).

Sound like a good idea? I'll get a smaller chasis that looks a little bit cooler and is much quieter.

Any suggestions?

A bigger chassis with a lot of space is good for airflow... You'll be able to build your own airducts and tunnels in your case with cardboard and everything. :D

Those specs aren't really useful, it's the measure of the fans that matters... Just measure their width, so we can help you further.

I've recently ordered two 120mm Thermaltake Thunderblade fans. They are very quiet (you're looking for something under 25 dBA) and move a lot of air (78 CFM, you'll be looking for 50 at least). They happen to come with blue LEDs, this usually makes a fan louder or less effective, but not in this case. They work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom