Volume License Key change to Retail without repair/format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warez Monster said:

lol, wow, way to have someone make program that uses the vbs script i already tried...

anyways, i know it's illegal to get the vl to work on it own, that's why i'm trying to replace it with the key i already have since it's brand knew and legitimate. I don't see why a key value is so deeply engraved when it only consist of a hand full of different files that determine whether a computer is vl or retail.
corporate files (files that differ between xp retail and vl "corporate")
1. Win95upg.inf
2. Setupreg.hiv
3. Setupp.ini
4. Pidgen.dll
5. Oembios.si_
6. Oembios.da_
7. Oembios.ca_
8. Oembios.bi_
9. Nt5inf.ca_
10. Eula.txt
11. Dpcdll.dl_

I Have my windows xp retail cd, so i could potentially replace all theses files from it onto my computer.

No. You dont understand. The License is burnt into the deepest part of the System. It is in your Registry. That is why no matter hwo many files you replace it WONT WORK. Plain and simple.You could copy and paste your whole CD over your XP install and it WONT WORK.

The Serial you used in buried into you Registry. When you go to updates and it looks for it they check parts of you Registry and your hardware config. The WGA goes even further. I dont know exactly how far but it does.

So plain and simple. the only way you will get you VL to work is to either Call M$ and have them help you switch it. Switch it yourself with another app. Or just format. Thats it. You can replace everyfile and it wont work. It will still recognize the VL serial and say your not legit. That serial is tied to your hardware config and a few other parts. The files you replace wont matter. Windows UPdate doesnt look at those files. It loks in your Registry and at your Hardware config.

So as i have said before. You are out of luck. The only thing to do is a WGA workaround. Considered illegal. Gave best advice and cant help anymore.

Makaveli213 said:
No. You dont understand. The License is burnt into the deepest part of the System. It is in your Registry. That is why no matter hwo many files you replace it WONT WORK. Plain and simple.You could copy and paste your whole CD over your XP install and it WONT WORK.

The Serial you used in buried into you Registry. When you go to updates and it looks for it they check parts of you Registry and your hardware config. The WGA goes even further. I dont know exactly how far but it does.

So plain and simple. the only way you will get you VL to work is to either Call M$ and have them help you switch it. Switch it yourself with another app. Or just format. Thats it. You can replace everyfile and it wont work. It will still recognize the VL serial and say your not legit. That serial is tied to your hardware config and a few other parts. The files you replace wont matter. Windows UPdate doesnt look at those files. It loks in your Registry and at your Hardware config.

So as i have said before. You are out of luck. The only thing to do is a WGA workaround. Considered illegal. Gave best advice and cant help anymore.

Couldn't you also modify the Registry and allow it to update hardware configs since it is 'le master'?

Allowing some hardware changes is alright.
But a new mobo and procesor are the limits. At that point no matter what you will have to do a repair install which in turn brings up the serial thing again.

Plus trying to update your registry keys with your updated hardware is harder than it looks. Gotta make sure all values are right before you go and delete the old ones. If not then your system is shot and useless.

Plus with WGA which digs into other files, all of which i dont know, it still wont work. Considering Vista is released and XP is even cheaper just buy it already. This topic is also over 9 months old. Buy Vista and dont pirate.

Makaveli213 said:
Allowing some hardware changes is alright.
But a new mobo and procesor are the limits. At that point no matter what you will have to do a repair install which in turn brings up the serial thing again.

Plus trying to update your registry keys with your updated hardware is harder than it looks. Gotta make sure all values are right before you go and delete the old ones. If not then your system is shot and useless.

Plus with WGA which digs into other files, all of which i dont know, it still wont work. Considering Vista is released and XP is even cheaper just buy it already. This topic is also over 9 months old. Buy Vista and dont pirate.

yeah just do like me and my friend did. I bought home premium OEM (don't buy ultimate. it includes 3 extra feature that you will never use) 32 bit for 129 bucks. he bought 64 bit for the same price. we swap out each other copies of the cd so now we basically have home premium retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom