Buying new Dell computer, need info

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^yeah dude^^
they wont support anything you add/do/modify.
and it also voids your warranty.
i added some more ram to my moms dell, and it worked...but i had no idea if it would even post the new ram before i tried it. so, you really are rolling the dice if you plan on trying to upgrade a dell. like i said...i'm not sure you can put a new gpu in there.
here is something i am compelled to do for you:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/TemporaryWishList.asp

you can build it yourself for the same money. and it will be MUCH better. and you can upgrade it. and it's fun. and it will make you proud. and it is easy. and we'll help you.
the only thing i didnt include is a keyboard/mouse.
the xp comes with an upgrade coupon for vista.
bear in mind, with the ram i selected for you, you won't really be able to overclock this cpu to its potential. but it will still kick that dells @$$ out of the party. i don't usually like to link whole systems for people...but i just do not want you to buy a prebuilt. join the family!

^^ lol..... This wish list is empty.
Are you saying that having NOTHING is better than a dell?? ;)

As far as "building" PC's go, it sounds MUCH more intimidating than it really is. It's like playing with legos..... all you do is snap the pieces together, you don't create the molds, melt the plastic and pour it intp the mold to make your own pieces.... it's just assembling. Yeah, there are more advanced things as far as overclocking, cooling, case mods, etc. etc. etc. that get more hands on, but the basic jist of it is like playing with legos..... big, expensive legos....

Ethereal_Dragon said:
^^ lol..... This wish list is empty.
Are you saying that having NOTHING is better than a dell?? ;)

lol i gues my subconscious took over for a second lol.

basically it was:

amd athlon 64 3000 orleans (socket am2 for upgrade ability).
abit kn9 ultra mobo ( i love mine)
2gb corsair ddr2 533 (probably no overclock, but will get the job done)
160 gb wd caviar hd
LG dvd/cd combo
coolermaster centurion case
evga 7600gt
fortron fsp400 psu
and xp home, which comes with a free coupon to upgrade to vista.
this all comes in at 696.91 before shipping.

better than a 650 dollar dell, no?
anyway, mattriddle...lemme know if you are interested in building, and i will provode links. or just go to newegg and search for the parts above.

For 650 bucks, god I could get an E4300, overclock the **** out of it and then get a 7600GT and be kicking ***. Also 1GB ram is recommended for Vista, but I do NOT recommend messing with Vista just yet as there are a lot of bugs and it's a severe memory hog. Having a gig in XP right now still is plenty fast enough for the average user. You can upgrade later when you feel like it.

I am 16 and I built my system a few months ago piece by piece. It was basically as someone stated, like building something with leggos.

nagasama, you've gone really more than you had to, and I thank you for your extra work.

I'm definitely contemplating building a computer. I've installed hard drives, memory, a new processor fan (not heat sinc) and a video card. I guess building a computer wouldn't be that much more than that.

Quick question though. Nagasama, for the items you listed, how much would you expect it to cost for them to be shipped to my house (eastern USA)? If the shipping is too much, I might have to wait.

How long before these items would go down in price? If I wait till the summer to do this, would it be much cheaper?

If you wait until summer everything will be way cheaper than it is now, However it will also be pretty out-dated. I don't think the tax and shipping would add a ton of money but it might make a sizable difference. There's always price drops because technology is constantly advancing.

MattRiddle said:
nagasama, you've gone really more than you had to, and I thank you for your extra work.

I'm definitely contemplating building a computer. I've installed hard drives, memory, a new processor fan (not heat sinc) and a video card. I guess building a computer wouldn't be that much more than that.

Quick question though. Nagasama, for the items you listed, how much would you expect it to cost for them to be shipped to my house (eastern USA)? If the shipping is too much, I might have to wait.

How long before these items would go down in price? If I wait till the summer to do this, would it be much cheaper?

okay, i dont know exactly how much it would cost to ship.
i live in texas, and they have to have an exact address.
go to www.newegg.com and put the parts above in a cart or wishlist, and it will figure the shipping for you.
i can tell you that it cost a total of 39.00 fro newegg to ship my entire system.
so, it shouldn't be too much, say no more than 50 bucks.
if you have installed all that, you pretty much have assembled a computer. setting up the mobo and hdd is easy.
you can wait till summer if you'd like. there would be benefits in doing that...
a) you could save more money and upgrade some of the parts.
b) some of the newer parts would be cheaper, yes.
but, you could build it now for approximately 750 dollars. i dont think that many of the parts in this sysytem will go down any further by then (i.e. the mobo, ram, psu or hd), but they may.
the video card and cpu will likely be cheaper by this summer. by how much is anyones guess.
good luck! let us know what you decide!

Most likely, I will wait till the summer to do it. I like the drop in price, but it's not my main reason to do it. I have things coming up (like trips across the US) that I need to make sure I have the money for, and I might have to take some money out of my new PC fund for it. On the other hand, if everything goes smoothly, I might have a few hundred dollars more to chuck in. I know you guys would love that :p

Thanks for all the hard work guys/gals. It's very appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom