Will this pc config work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackheart

Solid State Member
My first pc build, please help.

Okay, I was just woundering if the configuation I have will work or not. Mostly I just need someone to check the psu will work with my mobo I think it will, and also if my RAM which has a DDR2 800 standard will work with DDR2 667 (I'm sure it will, I don't see why not, but I want to make sure first) but anyway, here's my build. (Also I'm trying to build a budget gaming pc, so it's not going to be anything mind blowing right now, but I can atleast play all the games that my friends play at lans, which I can't right now, and when I get enough money, I can upgrade easily I think)

Mobo - $130
CPU - $222
Gfx Card - $110
HDD - $70
2GB DDR2 RAM - $193
PSU - $60

Stuff that isn't really important but I'll put in.
Monitor - $150
Keyboard - $59
Mouse - $46
Case - $80

Total w/ shipping - $1,119.91

So if you could please just double check me to make sure it will all work I'd greatly appreciate it. (Also the first thing I'm probably going to be upgrading is my gfx card, so that's why it's kind of a cheap one)

Thanks for any help :)

-edit-
Oh also forgot to mention, there isn't a cd or dvd rom drive on there because I bought a new cd rw drive for my computer a few months ago, so I'm just going to use that one since it's fairly new and it'll save me a little bit of money.

Also I found anoter psu but its basically the same as the rosewill but it's an OCZ and has 600w of power but it's about $70 more so I'm not sure if I should go with that over the rosewill, but here's the linky

I dunno about compatability but here's something I ran acrosst,

I dunno about here, but Rosewill seems to have a rep that gets pooh-poohed a lot...I noticed tho that on Newegg the customer
reviews seem to be pretty good. I was a little skeptical till I hit up
www.jonnyguru.com
and read what he did to a rosewill and the stuff he put it thru.
Pretty impressive IMHO, especially for the price.
A big part of how
much power you need is based on your video card, which doesn't draw that much compared to say, an 8800 series.
A friend of mine
runs an 8800GTX OC card off of..*gasp* 480W. Do I think he's nuts? yes. but it works. (longevity in question IMHO)
I went with a 550W Rosewill, the same as your save it's the older version. Kicking myself over that now...why I didn't see the newer one.
anyway. I'll post a review of my rosewill when I get it...imho,
you should be ok, but there's a lot smarter guys on here then I.
A lot of ppl like OCZ. There's a reason for that. A lot of ppl like Antec. But I've read Antec reviews where ppl didn't swear BY their antec, they swore AT their Antec. Everyone has an opinion,
But the reviews I've read on Rosewill convinced me I was ok to get one.
Of course having that extra power won't hurt if you ever wanted to go SLI, or as you posted, upgrade the video card.
just some thoughts from one noob to another
in spirit of good noobliness.

Mac

edit:link correction

I'm not sure if your RAM will work. The mobo standard is DDR2 800, while your RAM is only 667. I know for sure if the mobo standard is lower than the RAM, it will work, but i don't know about the other way around.

PSU is kinda meh. You can do better, by going with a better brand (ie. Antec, Fortron, PCP&C).

Snake-Eyes said:
I'm not sure if your RAM will work. The mobo standard is DDR2 800, while your RAM is only 667. I know for sure if the mobo standard is lower than the RAM, it will work, but i don't know about the other way around.

PSU is kinda meh. You can do better, by going with a better brand (ie. Antec, Fortron, PCP&C).

yes the 667 will work. standard means that you can use up to ddr2 800, usually.
my abit can use 400, 533, 667 or 800.

That P5N-E board supports 667 RAM no problems. What you might want to look into however, is whether the memory won't conflict with your board. I'll break down why.

The latest Asus BIOS (for nearly all C2D motherboards) has trouble reading the SPD of OCZ Gold and Platinum memory. What this means, is that these memory sticks might not be able to boot at stock settings because the default BIOS will try to run it at lower voltage. This problem happens mainly with DDR2-800 speed and higher, however, as they require 2.0-2.1V to operate under the given timings, but you better make sure that the DDR2-667 modules (they require 1.9V) won't have this. By default it boots at 1.8V, I think you'll be able to boot it at default 5-5-5-15 timings but change the voltage in BIOS right after you launch it for the first time. However, it is very well possible that this won't be any problem to you, since I don't expect the memory not to boot if it's only 0.1V under the rated voltage.

So to answer your question, yes, those parts are all completely compatible, and well chosen, but double check the RAM compatibility just in case.

Alright, sounds good, and just incase, I have a friend from work who has built a computer that will be helping me out. I just have to talk it over with the parents tonight at dinner and after that hopefully be building my computer on Valentines Day (since I got dumped a few weeks ago)
Whenever I get it all set up, I'll be sure to post some pictures (if there is an area for that on here) but I still have to talk my parents into it, they want to loan me money to buy a dell, and I want to get money to build a computer, and seeing as how it's cheaper I don't see why they want me to go with a POS dell.

But thank you very much, appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom