Dimension E521 w/o monitor

PROCESSOR: AMD Sempron™ 3400+t
OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic
MEMORY: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs
HARD DRIVE: 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
VIDEO CARD: 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
SOUND: Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

$659

Is it worth it? Could I get a better deal somewhere else? I'd rather not build my own computer.

Thanks

edit: Might list what I'm looking to do with the computer.

I use Adobe Photoshop a lot. I'd like to use Adobe Premiere a lot too. I play a lot of online games like UT2004, and WoW too. I need it to be able to do all that...with style :)

You could build a Core 2 Duo system with a better hard drive, video card, and processor, with slightly less RAM than that. But for a pre-built that's not a bad deal, other than the 250 watt Dell power supply.

Well, you should know the power supply, right?

Dell equips poor power supplies, usually made by Bestec or another cheap brand, with their system. If you paid attention to this forum, you'd know that Fortron made the best PSU's.

you will struggle.
okay i looked at the dell website.
this is what i suggest:
go with the E521 as planned...keep everything the same EXCEPT:
change the processor to the x2 dual 3800, and
leave the integrated graphics for now. that card you are wanting them to put in isnt worth 100.00
and besides...100.00 is about 30.00 short of being able to buy a 7600gt (or x1650pro if you like ati).
either of which will kick the crap out of the card you picked. it's easy to install, too. i just dont know if you can just slap one in a dell...though i dont see why not. unless the mobo doesn't have a pci-e slot.
that way your still paying 659 bucks, but you have a better (in my opinion) cpu.
good luck!
by the way, they upgrade your hard drive to 250gb for free...

If you have to go Dell (I recommend building your own, it's NOT that hard) then I agree with the above poster. Get the better dual core processor and drop the video card, just get the integrated. That video card is about $50 on www.newegg.com
I'd recommend you buy this HP, good specs for the price and you can easily add a second gig of ram. It'll come out to the same price as the Dell, be more reliable, and you can actually upgrade the powre supply if you need a faster one. Plus, Circuit City does free warranty work for HP computers so if something breaks within the first year take it there and if it's covered they'll fix it at no charge.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883107291
Extra RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145526

Wouldn't 1gb be a little too low for Vista?

Can you buy extra ram that would fit the dell computer? I'm thinking about just buying a barebones dell computer and slowly upgrading it over time. But buying the best processor/motherboard they have though.

Is that a decent idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom