Most efficient cpu for my needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacit

Solid State Member
The information I have found here has been excellent and I wanted to utilize this resource to get advice regarding a gaming rig I am building. I read Nitesticks "The Truth about Processor Performance" and came across this:

"The frequency of a processor is almost irrelevant. The only thing that determines itÂ’s performance is how efficient it is with itÂ’s clock cycles."

Going by this I assume it is not necessary for me to be overly concerned with Ghz as the sole criteria for purchasing a processor? I was planning on using this: Intel Core 2 Duo. In conjunction with these:

Video Card: ATI Radeon
Motherboard:Foxconn
PSU:Enermax Liberty

Would that be a good processor to use or can I go cheaper in price and model and still run games on full specs without any issues? What would be the most efficient cpu performance and price wise within a limit of $230 for my needs? Also I welcome any suggestions on the components I am going to be using. Does all look well for a decent gaming machine?

Any one of the CPU's in the Core 2 Duo Line are quite amazing. They can pretty much provide anyone with what they want to do these days. The E6400 is certainly not a bad choice at all and I encourage you to buy it if you have the money. For gaming it's one of the best CPU's out right now. ****, for everything really.

EDIT: In terms of components, the X1950PRO is an excellent card. But the choice of mobo is lacking in my opinion.

This one is only 5 bucks more but in my experience is an all around better mobo becuase of its ability to overclock.

I own the board and recomend it to anyone on a budget as it is truly an amazing board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138037

Ah, thank you for the advice. I have already purchased the Foxconn from a friend for $60. Maybe now I'll go for the E6300 instead of the E6400.

Is the PSU of stable quality for the processor and video card I plan to be running? Although I read through the PSU guide on wattage not being of main concern I am still apprehensive of my choice. I will also have:

- 1 HDD
- 2 FDD
- 2 Optical Drives
- 4 80mm Fans
- 1 120mm Fan
- 1 Sound Card

No problem. I sought out the information that I could find for myself and now the remaining question I have about the PSU is more of me just wanting to be sure.

Yeah, I wish more people would read pinned topics and do some research before they post questions.

Lacit those are good components, it's a shame you've already bought the Foxconn motherboard, although you could always sell it to someone else.

That power supply can handle your setup, but may not be able to cope with big upgrades to your machine (e.g. upgrading to ATI R600). If you plan to upgrade later, here's a psu that is cheaper and has more wattage and is one of the best price-performance power supplies.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817128005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom