New system or upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmolson

Solid State Member
Hey guys. This is my first post here. I need some advice on what to do.

First my current system:

ECS k7S5A
AMD mobile 2800+ (now dead)
1 x 512mb DDR400 (generic)
1 x 512mb DDR333 (generic)
1 x ATI x1650 Pro (AGP)
200GB + 120GB HDD (PATA)
310 Watt power supply
gigabit lan, 5.1 sound etc.

First Problem is that the 2800+ cpu died, I broke it (not on purpose...lol).
Second is that I just bought the x1650, and DDR400 Ram.....

Now What do I do? Get a new cpu for this system at around $70+ for a 2600+/2800+ and continue my existence in the past....

Or do I upgrade... I am looking into a system with a Core 2 Duo E6300, or E6400.... but I just bought a new agp graphics card literally 2 days ago. arrrgghhh

So obviously if you want an agp card with a core 2 duo it is because you are on a budget, and so only entry level boards are available.

My budget is around $500 Canadian, the CPU is 250-300 depending on which one I get (or is there another I should look at?)

So I guess what I am asking is whether I should cut my losses, and sell my parts I just bought, and get all new stuff ie. pci-e graphics, ddr2 ram, and a decent mobo. or should I get a cheap board like the ASRock.

I saw an article about over clocking the core 2 duo to around 3ghz with not much more cooling etc. This sounds interesting... and one of the reasons I am thinking about getting a core 2 duo (used to use amd chips). Although with the ASRock board I will not be able to over clock as much apparently....

Anyways, I could really use some comments on what to do, or what you would do in my place. Thanks a lot!

Chris

Edit:

I am looking back into the ASRock boards, I can keep my one stick of 512mb ram, and buy say another 1GB DDR400. and it will cost me less than buying new everything. I don't play many games, I mean I was happy playing company of heroes with my Geforce 5200 lol and AMD 2400+.

If I were you, I would sell the parts, and buy a budget C2D system. Definitely get the e6300, if you're on a budget...or even the e4300. For overclocking, you should get a P965 chipset and DDR2-800 ram.

ya thats a great mobo, lol if you are wiling to drop 2 bills on it tho. You coudl get somehtign cheaper, and still have good performance. I thought you wanted a budget gaming rig right?

Lol yes That is what I want. Could anyone maybe suggest some good parts for the following roles?

Graphics card (I will sell my x1650 to get a pci-e card)
Motherboard which will allow overclocking?
CPU, is the extra $50 worth getting the E6400?
Also what kind of cooling will be required to Overclock it. I would prefer getting a decent heatsink/fan.

Thanks for all the help guys. I used to know my computer stuff, but I'm having trouble with all these new names (like for video cards, GT, GTO , GTX. etc...)

Graphics card: Ati X1950Pro, Nvidia 7950GT (depending on what you want to spend)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 965P-DS3 or Asus P5B-E
CPU: Just get a E6300
Cooling: stock will do a fine job, but Zalman 9500 or Scythe coolers will be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom