BIOS HDD Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlf2007

Beta member
Hello,

I've recently repaired a computer that could not recognise the HDD in the BIOS, it was showing as WDh@!0040!!!!04 and not showing its correct name, I reset the BIOS and loaded back into the BIOS set-up and the HDD was displaying properly, Formatted the drive and reinstalled windows XP with no problems, i checked the hard drive for bad sectors which had none and running well, when i gave the pc back, i received a phone call 3 hours later and was told it was working fine until he restarted the pc and it was showing NON SYSTEM DISK, when i got it back again, the HDD was showing the same WDH@!004!!!04 again and wouldn't boot into windows, as if all was wiped from the hard drive, so I'm not sure whether its a Virus in the BIOS or if the BIOS has been updated with the wrong type of update, IÂ’d be grateful if anyone could help me on this problem

P.S itÂ’s my first post on forums:D

T

The system is not detecting a new drive. Go to a CMOS setting called Drive Configuration, Hard Disk Settings, or even Devices And I/O Ports. It lets you configure the hard drives, CD-ROM drives, and diskette drives. PCs made in the past few years come with an automatic-detection program that enters configuration data into CMOS. If your system is older than that, or if you installed a drive your system is not detecting, enter the drive information manually to prompt your system to detect it. You do this in CMOS, where your drive information is located. This area is often called Drive Configuration, Hard Disk Settings, or something along those lines. There will be an option where you can choose between manual detection and automatic detection. Other than that, I would suggest replacing the CMOS battery. I doubt it is a bad BIOS or incorrect bios flash becasue you woud only get a Check Sum Error at post.

Hi Rico,

Thanks for the reply,I had tried all of that and nothing worked. When I put one of the error messages in Google, it suggested we might have an MBR virus, so I did a search here and it seems Powermax is the way to go? I have downloaded it anyway and hopefully it will get rid of something. I tried a couple of different virus scans and none of them identified anything.

Thanks

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom