Help Upgrading CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelKing

Solid State Member
My motherboard supports a P4 Processor up to 2.6GHZ\400FSB. I currently have a P4 @ 1.6GHZ installed. I've been looking online all day long trying to find a compatible 2.6GHZ\400FSB processor, but I keep running into 533FSB\800FSB Processors! So, What I was wondering was, would it be possible to use a 533FSB or 800FSB processor for a board intended for a 400FSB processor @ 2.6 GHZ? ....Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

I don't think Intel manufactures those processors anymore. However you could check out the buy/sell/trade section of this forum and see if anyone has one for ya. I don't know you'd see a GREAT performance increase in switching out the processor, though it would be noticable.

i think you are also looking for a socket 423 is what it sounds like from those specs. which are not made anymore. you also most likely have RDram which is also hard to come by.

your best bet is to upgrade.

so no the newer chips wont fit because you have a different socket.

King X13 said:
i think you are also looking for a socket 423 is what it sounds like from those specs. which are not made anymore. you also most likely have RDram which is also hard to come by.

your best bet is to upgrade.

so no the newer chips wont fit because you have a different socket.

Socket 478 also has those specs though... the only place I think he'd find one is on eBay, there ARE 2.6 400MHz FSB chips though, I've seen them... Get a Pentium 4 2.4"A" if you can, they're really good overclockers.

Thanks for your time but I think I'll just go ahead and upgrade my motherboard and CPU...*Sigh*

thats why i said i think. back when intel came out with the 1.6 and 1.7 etc. chips they were first made on the 423 socket which the majority of people bought it on these boards when it came out and also about 90% of the dells at 1.6 that i have worked on were 423's with rdram. it was just a suggestion for him to make sure what socket he has. you suggested a chip but not a correct socket so what if he buys one and doesnt fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom