PC does not boot correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
COCOCOOKIE said:
Hi. It is unlikely that a virus did that. This points to a hardware failure. We can be talking about Video Card failure. The reason why I didn't tell you that as a first cause of your problem was because you have to make sure that the card is properly seated (especially if the computer is not brand new), clean, the video cable working, properly seated (the cable that connects your monitor to the PC) and with no pins bent (CHECK THAT), and that you don't have another expansion card causing conflict. Also, after checking all that, you can try is it is your video card by trying it in a different PC. One important question: Do you hear any beeps when you start your PC? IF so, how many? PAy attention to the pattern, like 2 shorts and one long beep, etc.., and write down the name of your BIOS manufacturer (Award, Phoenix,etc.) If you try those things and your video card is working, then it could be RAM or a Motherboard failure. You test RAM with this program "Memtest86". If you have access to the Internet from another computer, download it and create the bootable CD or Floppy Disk. Instert it in the drive and start the PC, it should start testing your RAM right away automatically but it takes hours. You can also test your RAM by pulling one stick at a time and start the PC and see if you get an error; then try the other one and the same thing, and also switch slots and the same procedure. Of course, you can try the sticks in another PC to make it faster, but make sure this other PC uses the same type, speed of memory. I don't wanna sofocate you with more info so go ahead and try and check all those things and post back with more information and results,ok? Good Luck!

Hello, thanks for the reply.

Immediately I had ruled out a lot of those questions. I have it also hooked up to my TV, and the same thing happens there.

There is no other expansion card causing conflict. I bought this pc and built it myself and have not had any new hardware.

When starting my computer, I hear 1 beep.

My BIOS is Phoenix - AwardBIOS.

I will try another graphics card in my computer. I can't try this graphics card in another pc as this is PCI-E and there are no other pcs in my house which are PCI-E.

Thanks

Hi. Well, if you hear one beep that means that your PC passed the POST (Power-On Self-Test), but that does not mean that there isn't a falied piece of hardware. You definitely need to try a different video card to rule that out. If it's not the video card, then you're down to two probable causes: a bad RAM stick (which you can test with memtest86; if you get errors in the tests that means that they need to be replaced) and the Motherboard failing to initialize the Video Card or any other Motherboard failure, which means that (since is a PC built by you) you're gonna need to replace the Motherboard. Did you ever get to boot into Safe Mode? Post back,ok? Good Luck!

Hi,

No, didn't get into safe mode. Tried about 5 times.

I know someone who is going to test the video card in their computer on friday. I havn't tested the ram yet. I will do it now - I have 2x 512MB g.skill. I will try starting the computer with 1 stick in at a time.

EDIT: Not the RAM.

Hi! I think we have a Video Card problem, but let's not rule out Mobo failure. Did you test your video card yet? Results? Post back,ok? Ciao!

Hey,

Thanks loads for helping me - it definately is a graphics card problem.

I've been emailing leadtek. I think they may be sending me a replacement (If i would be so lucky).

Cheers again

Xiahou said:
Hey,

Thanks loads for helping me - it definately is a graphics card problem.

I've been emailing leadtek. I think they may be sending me a replacement (If i would be so lucky).

Cheers again

Just for future reference: Vertical display lines...always a failing video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom