CMOS reseting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mode8power

Baseband Member
for some reason, my computer keep reseting it self. its a 4-year old computer. was working fine then, but now. it keep reseeting it self once and while. and when it does do that. CMOS reset it self. can a dead battery cause that while the machine is booting? i was thinking it was a motherboard problem that cause the reboot, but as soon as i replace the cmos battery with a new one, i havent seen a reboot yet. can any1 confirm that a bad battery would cause a reboot in the middle of boot?

Hi! When you say "computer resetting itself" you mean that your time and date keeps changing, even after you set it correctly? Or you mean that you have random reboots? If your CMOS/BIOS keeps restteing to their default choices, then you do have a dying or dead battery and you need to change it. Post back,ok?

COCOCOOKIE said:
Hi! When you say "computer resetting itself" you mean that your time and date keeps changing, even after you set it correctly? Or you mean that you have random reboots? If your CMOS/BIOS keeps restteing to their default choices, then you do have a dying or dead battery and you need to change it. Post back,ok?

A bad CMOS battery will not cause random reboots. I would also run Memtest86 and do some voltage evaluations of your power supply.

well, yes, the date kept reseting. but after i replaced the battery, it seem to fix the cmos resetting. but the computer still reboots randomly. ive replaced the video card, ram, take away other pci card. and it still restarts. i really think its because of a dying motherboard, but i have no way to test it. also, some of the pci slot does not pick up the inserted hardware, maybe it is the motherboard? i doubt its the power supply cuz i switch it with a new high watt supply.

"some of the pci slot does not pick up the inserted hardware, maybe it is the motherboard?"
I think it could be a Motherboard failure, but when you say that you "replaced" Ram and Video Card...you mean, you try a different one or you just reset it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom