Long Beeps....

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmc

Beta member
Hi guys,

I've developed a problem with a PC i was fixing up. I was trying to install xp and was hitting a few problems which looked like it was the HD. I removed it, hooked it up to my Pc and ran the diagnostic tools on it, formatted it and all was good. Put it back in and got a lot further with the instal but hit another problem, this time I think it was to do with the xp cd. Anyway turned it off, removed one stick of ram and the graphics card to plug into another machine I was testing. That was fine, but when I put it back in I got the dreaded long beeps when I try to boot up. There is also nothing on the screen.

Here's what i've tried so far. I've put the ram in another machine and it works fine, i've tried different ram in this machine and i get the long beeps. I've tried using the onboard graphics and another older graphics card and the problem is still there. I've tried a different power supply, but it still beeps.

It seems to me that its something to do with the ram, perhaps i've damaged the slots somehow?

Any ideas??

Thanks

This may help...
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm
But as Bmsh said if you can find the manual for this motherboard or download it the beep-code info is going to be more specific.

Long beeps are generally a memory error but they can also mean a motherboard issue in my experience. Try resetting the CMOS on your motherboard. Remove the battery too to rest all settings to the factory default. This has also worked for me in the past.

Hi, checked the manual, doesn't say anything about beeps but it is award bios so long beeps mean 'memory error'. I've switched the appropriate jumper to reset CMOS but it still happens. I've removed the battery too, but that doesn't seem to have made a difference. Should I leave it out for a while or is it ok just to remove it for a minute or so. I don't know if this means anything, but I turned on the PC when the jumper was in the 'clear cmos' setting and got no beeps - didn't get anything on the monitor either.

Thanks

Any other ideas guys? I've been pricing up the cost of a new mobo, and that seems like not a bad solution.

What do you reckon?

i wouldnt go for a new motherboard whilst not even knowing what the problem is. is there any way you can check the ram, move do different slots try one at a time or use a different set first?

what motherboard do you have?

Its a FIC VG31. I've tried all combinations of ram on the board. I've put the ram in another PC and it works fine. I've also tried different ram in the machine and the beeps are still there.

Thanks

Hi, any more thoughts? I can probably get a hold of a new mobo from ebay for around £25, i'm thinking that looks the best option just now.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom