Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How loose should I set them, 3-3-3-7? Is there a general rule I should follow?

drop the ht multiplier to one number lower (i.e. if its at 5 put it to 4...or even 3). this may(and very likely will) help you get a little more out of it.
you probably wont go much higher with an x2. i hardly ever see them clocked above 2.8. if you break 3.0, i'd like to see it.
i can boot at 2.95, but not stable. i have an am2, so yours may overclock a little higher than mine.
does your rig run games with no lag?
if yes, who cares about 3dmark?

I have the HT multiplier set at 4 right now with the FSB at 235. It should not be the bus causing the problem. When I first started to oc I dropped the memory and CPU settings way down to see how High I could go on just the FSB setting and It was still stable at 300. So it is either the CPU or the memory causing the problems. My mem is PC3500 so I am not sure if it is the problem since I have it set at 183. I could try and loosen up the timings a bit to see if it is the show stopper, but I am leaning more towards the CPU.

What do you think?

Yes I can run games with no Lag

your timings are not going to be as important as the speed.
if it is running at a speed slower than stock, the timings wont matter.
like i said, it is very rare to see an x2 overclocked much more than what you have.
maybe you could drop all your settings (like you had them when you got external clock speed of 300) and work your way up.
but if your ram is underclocked, changing timings is not going to do anything.

If 2.8GHz is all I can get then so be it, I guess that is a pretty good increase from the stock 2.4GHz.

However is it possible to get my memory to run at 235MHz using a 1:1 Ratio if I loosen up my timings? Does loosening the timings make the memory run slower at faster clock speeds without the loss of performance? I do not completely understand so an explanation on how it works would be great.

i dont think you will be able to run the ram at that speed.
from what little reading i did (and i did it quick), it seems that it will top out a little below 220mhz.
loosening thr timings will slow the ram, but raising the cpu clock speed will speed up your ram, get it?
so, it's a trade off. for the most part, unless you are using a really ram intensive application it is better to get highest cpu clock speed possible. then worry about getting your ram up to its highest stable speed. or you can balance the two off.
for example, i run my ddr2 800xms at 430 something mhz when i have my normal overclock (about 2.6ish).
when i go to 2.8+ i drop the speed to ddr2 667...so that my ram is not overclocked higher than i like. it will do 450+, but i just don't run it that high.
as far as an explanation of ram timings i understand them, but explaining them is very tedious. google it or search here on the forums.
good luck!

So I changed the Memory setting back to 200 for a 1:1 ratio and I also changed the VDimm to 2.85V. At the stock settings of 2-3-2-6 I was having trouble with my computer crashing. I changed the mem settings to 3-3-3-7 and now I have no problems. Mem is running at 2.35MHz, CPU at 2.82GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom