Way too hot C2D E6400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodonebales

In Runtime
Hey, I've been using my new rig for about 3 days now, and much to my dismay, my E6400 is at about a constant 52.0 Celsius...I double checked, the heatsink is installed correctly, and it's the stock one. I even put some Arctic Silver 5 on there before I installed it, and made sure to do it as instructed. What's going on? Why is it so hot? I have two 120mm fans, but something's not right....Help?

Room temp is probably about 70-72F, which is about 21C, and it's sitting under my desk...How do I make sure the fan's spinning at full speed? My mobo (Abit AW9D-Max) also came with a program called MicroGuru, where I can look at fan speeds, voltages, temps, etc. And play around with them. Is that where I change fan speed?

well if it's cramped under that desk it certainly won't be helping. you did remove the stock thermal paste before applying the AS5, right? you're sure you followed the instructions properly for the AS5? so many people think that they will be better off if they put more AS5 on but they're wrong. it's a relatively poor conductor of heat and is only there to keep air from being between the processor and heatsink (air is a worse conductor of heat).

Yeah, I put a thin line across the area where I was instructed to, I removed the stock thermal paste, and the area under the desk is very open-aired. After keeping it off overnight, it went down to about 43. Is that about normal? Or should it still be lower?

well my room is probably at around 79F everyday and my E6400 idles at 41C. But of course this is with watercooling. Mine used to idle at around 52C before the water. Also It's overclocked to 3.2Ghz at i think...1.34V? Around there. I'm sure it could be stable at a lower voltage but I don't feel like messing with it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom