What do you think of this build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugr

Solid State Member
Hello! Basically, I've read over a few threads and picked the components I thought were good and came up with my not so different build.

Here's the build: https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...shListNumber=3953834&WishListTitle=gaming+rig

I've never over clocked anything before, but I DO plan to overclock this one. I've also never built my own computer before, but I have a great interest in computers, so I also hope this will be a good learning experience.

I'm somewhat of a "hardcore" gamer so keep that in mind when suggesting components, but as much as I'd like to get an Intel Extreme QX6700 and 2x 8800GTX's, I can only spend at most about $1600 on this computer (at least initially, not so important things can be upgraded/added later)

The only two things I am really unsure about is that this motherboard limits me to a single graphics card, while an SLI compatible board would give me the freedom to add another 8800GTS when they become cheaper. The other things is the CPU, everyone seems to suggest either the E6300 for best value, E6400 because of it's multiplier, I think, and the E6600 due to it's larger cache.

Thank you for any opinions!

EDIT: Updated Build 3

First, can I just say thank you for searching!

What I would do is change the raptor to a E6600 and have a standard 7200rpm hard drive. Raptors are good but just not high on my list of components in a computer.

SLI although nice, by the time they are cheap you would want to have the next series up. The only really useful thing about a second PCIE slot is when Nvidia finally release a decent (priced) physics card.

Thanks, Trifid.

Thinking about it a little, I guess a good chip would be better than the hard drive. I'll probably add a Raptor X when I get some more cash.

You're probably right about the video card, I looked at the SLI thread, it seems you don't get as much value out of the second video card as you did the first, so maybe I'll hold off until games start designing themselves around SLI. And, I think by the time most games even require physics cards, I'll probably be long due for a motherboard upgrade anyway. :p

Looking at your list you still need a hard drive, and probably an optical drive, unless you have one already. Also you have two cpus on the list.

fade2black2004,

I actually already have a 550 True Power in my old desktop. It works really well, but I'd like to expand my horizons and try some other brands, though I might downgrade to the 600 if I can squeeze something else into my computer with what's left of my budget.

nosbusch2005,

Nice catch on the CPU's! Forgot to remove the E6300 when I upgraded to E6600. After removing the E6300, I added back the WD Raptor X, so I'll be using it as my hard drive, and I'll probably put either my BenQ 1650 or my Pioneer 111L (since they're both black) into this computer for the optical drive.

I really appreciate your opinions, so keep them coming! You won't believe how anxious I am to just purchase this thing, but it's never wise to rush into things.

Draugr said:
fade2black2004,

I actually already have a 550 True Power in my old desktop. It works really well, but I'd like to expand my horizons and try some other brands, though I might downgrade to the 600 if I can squeeze something else into my computer with what's left of my budget.

"Expand" your horizens with a 520 Watt Corsair and it will still be plenty.

Corsair CMPSU-520HX

One of the Best Power supplies out there.

Ste said:
"Expand" your horizens with a 520 Watt Corsair and it will still be plenty.

Corsair CMPSU-520HX

I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but every computer in my house is using Antec power supplies so I thought I'd try something new...

If you include the rebate with the OCZ, these two power supplies share the same price, what advantage would I have in using the Corsair? Modular Cabling?

Edit: Sorry didn't see your last statement! What makes it one of the best?

Its top 5, and when compared to Antec...
Corsair>Antec.

Not saying you shouldn't go with Antec or OCZ, just that corsair is better.
If you wanted to know an indepth answer as to why they are top 5. Youd have to ask the ones who made this thread.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1000883

"
Class 1: These are the Best:

PC Power & Cooling (All Turbo Cool & ULTRA-QUIET SILENCER 610W & 750W),
Seasonic (S-12, S-12E+, M-12),
Corsair,
Silverstone (Zeus models ST56ZF, ST75ZF, and ST85ZF),
Etasis &
Zippy.

Class 2:

Antec,
Enermax,
Enhance,
Fortron (FSP),
Hiper (Type-M 670W & 730W & Type-R 730W)
I-Star,
Mushkin,
OCZ Technology,
PC Power & Cooling,
Seasonic,
Silverstone,
Sparkle,
Tagan,
Thermaltake ToughPower (Only the ToughPower Line!),
Vantec &
XCilo.

Class 3: