Friends 1st Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just that the memory runs on Dual Channel..which is yea a little bit faster but not really that noticible

We are going to investigate the mem a little more... hes not sure about when he plans to upgrade again...he hasn't payed for this yet... as the list stands right now is everything compatible?

Jrod said:
Why? Can you link me to some documentation of this?

I don't have any concrete sources, but word is RAM slot overpopulation can increase RAM latency. I'm almost sure I read in an article somewhere that when all slots are full, RAM downgrades to a 2T command rate. It makes sense if you think there's 4 modules (instead of two, for example) where data can be stored, so deciding which one to access takes some extra time - but I'm just speculating here.

I am sure, however, that some motherboards can't support their memory max speed when all slots are full (it'll downclock the memory).

makes sense, but i'm wondering if the difference in performance is really that big

i suggest going with 2 gigs(2x1gb) of ram immediately. there is a difference, and you will notice it.
it will only cost about 90.00 more.

that gpu is a pretty good card, i think it will work fine for light gaming.

nagasama, Jrod was talking about the claimed increase in latency when using 4 dimms versus 2 dimms. I've been unable to find a benchmark or any formal analysis of the matter; it would be very interesting if someone could provide a link to one.

okay this is all i could find real quick like...
it has to do with athlon's, and it does say that the command rate needs to be 2t.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/print/athlon64-e3-mem.html

scroll down, its in there.
i don't know of the reliability of this site.
lol it's also about winnies and it is from 2005..
i'll look later for more, or something with the c2d's. but now...it's happy hour!
yee-haa!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom