Building a personal Server... Need input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inaris

Fully Optimized
I'm working out some specs for a server for my home.

I've been running numbers for a while now and just can't come down on anything solid, so I'm asking you all what you think might work best.

This is what I would like from the machine.

Dual processor (physicial), 4gb+ memory
Mirror primary hard drive 80GB+
SATA only
PCIe x4
standard PCI 1 or 2 ports.
Built in RAID would be nice, but I'm only using Raid 5 for this, so unless something has this, I'm not really interested outside the primary drives.
integrated GB nic

I'm also running specs for a x12 SATA RAID 5 controller and drives, but am having a hard time find the right case for that. if anyone has any thoughts on that, that would be helpfull.

Will be running Windows 2003 server. Wouldn't mind doing 64bit either...

any info you can throw my way would be helpfull.

Thanks

My budget for the server is $2000 - $3000.

the disk array stuff, I'm trying to keep everything under $5000.

Server will be setup to manage a few databases that I'm using as a learning tool as well as be my primaray digital storage location for everything from pictures and video to emails and phone messages.
Additioanlly, I am setting up a terminal services configuration which I want to use the server to do all my DVD compressions and such, so I don't need to tax my latop/desktops with. That is why I want the added horsepower.

I don't really have anything constructive to add to this post, I just wanted to say, that servers going to kick major ***. Make sure and post pics when you're done with the build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom