Windows Explorer Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ftmscott

Baseband Member
I've got my 300GB Maxtor hard drive split into two partition, one for Windows and one where i keep all my media etc. I've had no problems, then all of the sudden the other day when accessing one of the folders, Windows Explorer crashed, i thought it was just a one off.

Now when accessing the other partition it will crash alot, and it will always bring up the option to send a error report or not. Although it seems to be a specific folder every time.

Any ideas what may be causing this or how to fix it?

run a full checkdisk on the drive (partition) that is crashing.

might not be a bad idea to do both partitions, but that's your call. Most common cuase of explorer crashes that I've seen is due to corrupt data in the directory your trying to look at.

Checkdisk should fix it.

open my computer -> right click the drive -> Properies -> Click Tools tab -> click Check Now -> check both boxes -> click start -> click YES if prompted -> reboot if you click Yes.

phase 4 and 5 are the longest. 4 does data checks that depending on actual volume of data can take a while. 5 does physical disk integrety checking...

Ok, i've done this on both drives and it doesnt seem to have solved the problem. I still get the error.

Any other possible problems/solutions or software i could try?

Thanks

Run spyware scans and virus scans. It sounds as if the folder you are trying to access has gotten corrupt.

Ad-Aware, Spybot search and destroy, CCLeaner, Avast!

That covers the Anti-Apyware with the first 2. The CCleaner cleans out a lot of junk and Avast! is one of the Best Free Anti-Virus software on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom