Upgrading Dell.. possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coonyboarder

Beta member
Hey whatsup guys. I have had this dell for many years now and I would like to upgrade it but I want to see if its possible to use this same machine or will I have to buy all new things. Here are my current specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension 2400
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz
Memory: 766MB RAM
Page File: 474MB used, 1397MB available
-------------
Card name: RADEON 9200 SERIES
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON 9200 SE (0x5964)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5964&SUBSYS_7C251545&REV_01
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
----
Hard drive: 40gb

------

My plans were to buy a new motherboard and a processor. I'm looking at a AMD 64 on newegg and a Socket 939 Motherboard. Total price I was looking at was around $110 for those two. I was hoping I could use my dell and just swap out the old motherboard / processor. Then I would use my old memory, buy a new video card, and upgrade the hard drive etc in the future. Is this possible? Let me know if it is if not I guess I'm going to have to go another route. What I"m looking to get out of this computer is mostly computer games / music / internet. Thanks in advance.

The best way to tell is just to open the case and see what you can take off and replace. Back a few years ago I had a Dell and wanted to upgrade but found that alot of the Dell hardware is proprietary. Alot of the times they do not use cases and motherboards will common form factors (ie ATX). So, upgrading your motherboads would be impossible enless you replaced the case. RAM and harddrives shouldnt be a problem.

if your buying a new motherboard you mite as well by a new case

Ok

So how much would a new case run me? I'm not trying to go all out cheapest possible is good for me. What else do you think I will be needing if I buy a new case, motherboard, processor, video card, heatsink/ fan. Keep in mind I have all the other parts from the dell so what else would you guys think I would need. I'm just trying to get myself a figure on prices so when I do this I do it right and not half assed. Thanks for all the responses.

Make sure the psu is atx and has enough watts, too. Dell is extraordinarily stingy with their wattage.
As for the new case, this one is the best for the money, hands down. Great airflow, toolless, very high quality.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119077

Do you know what speed your ram is? Also, I'm assuming your video card is agp, so you may have to upgrade that as well, or get a board with good built in graphics to hold you over. What will you be using your computer for?

"Do you know what speed your ram is? Also, I'm assuming your video card is agp, so you may have to upgrade that as well, or get a board with good built in graphics to hold you over. What will you be using your computer for?"

My ram is Pc2700. The video card is PCI but if I get a board with PCI I might just use it temporarily until I get enough money for a good one. The board I get I'm deff gona get PCI-express slot. As for the power supply I'm going to find out the wattage on it.... any idea what wattage I would need most likely? I'm looking to use this computer mostly for video games (World of Warcraft, Half Life 2) and also for downloading music mostly.
Tell me what you guys think about my set up so far which I am going to hopefully order soon:

XION Solaris XON-403 Black with Green LED Light Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
COOLMAX "PCI Express" CXI-450B ATX v2.01 450W Power Supply - Retail - Retail
Combo Price- $64.98 + $15 Mail in Rebate = $50

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Venice 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3400DAA4BY - OEM
ASUS A8V-VM SE Socket 939 VIA K8T890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Combo Price- $94.99

So I'm looking at about $150 right there for those 4 things. Will I be needing a heatsink / fan as well for this since it doesn't come with it? Anything else I should add let me know I want to get this ordered asap. Thanks for everyones help keep the responses coming ^_^

If I were you, I would get a new HDD first, 80GB would be plenty, and cheap. Then get a AMD Athlon XP, or the AMD Athlon 64 3400+ and MB that you suggested. If you are looking into playing some of the newer games, like the more demanding games, get a new video card, the ATI Radeon 9200SE is not for serious gaming, it's more of a graphics card just to make things run a little better.

If I was to get a new HD wouldn't I need a new operating system? I was planning on keeping the existing hard drive until I get some more money to upgrade to Vista which isn't going to be for a month or two. Even though it is only 40gb I probably won't even use half of that since I think its mostly going to be for games.

The proc you've chosen is OEM so you'll have to buy a socket 939 hsf and probably some thermal paste as well. I strongly recommend getting a retail AMD chip since they're hardly any more money and come with the hsf already, plus a much longer warranty should the unit fail.
Also, with a mobo/proc upgrade you are going to have to reinstall windows so make sure you have your restore discs handy.
Finally, I would recommend this psu over the one you posted, it's almost the same price but from a better brand and it'll pump a bit more power. Everything else seems fine for the money.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817171018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom