install a 2nd cable modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcyphure

Baseband Member
i have comcast cable braudband on this computer, i supplied my own modem.

i want one on another...would i have to call comcast and provide its serial #..etc like i did when i set this one which would result in them charging me more $$ for having another input
or can i just buy another modem and it would connect to internet right off bat?

I'm sorry I can't fully understand what you're asking.

If you're asking if you can use two cable modems in your house, then yes you can, but comcast will charge you more per month for using 2 cable modems. You're much better off setting up a network.

Now if you're asking if you can get a new modem, I'd find the one you want, call up comcast to make sure it's supported, then go for it.

I'm sorry if I didn't understand your post, I tried to reply to what I thought you were asking.

like if i just bought and hooked up a second one...would there be a necessity to call comcast, it seems if i hooked it up it would feed off my current interenet since its all from 1 single line outside.

i'm trying to ask about if i could install a second cable modem if it would automatically connect ok since i already have braudband on this one, if thats a network then sure

... But WHY do you want two modems? Do you want to have twice the speed? Or do you want an extra connection for another computer?

dude prolly just want to xtran connection for 2nd computer.
if thats the case
If you're asking if you can use two cable modems in your house, then yes you can, but comcast will charge you more per month for using 2 cable modems. You're much better off setting up a network.

I think you are better off just getting a router, hook it up to ur modem, connect to ur 1st comp and 2nd comp, tada! now both have internet

i dont know routers or network...i bought a modem and hooked it up, called comcast and tada!

i want one for second computer so it can be on high speed interent too....not sure why thats hard to understand

i just need to know if it will connect just by hooking it up or if i have to call comcast to make it work and not sure why i'd have to since i already subscribe on this computer....not sure how i can word that any better but 2 modems wouldnt give me twice the speed anyway but thanks for responding anyway worldindustries

yes it will work but it would be better if you got a router and just ran a cat5 cable to the other computer. Not alot of network stuff involved there and it would probably be better for the other computer to. Most broadband companies balance the signal with the cable line your plugging into your modem to get the best signal. so if you try to hook it up in the other room and that cable line is behind splitters or whatever your going to have a worse signal going to you modem and thus slower speed.

I suggest you get a router and a cat5 cable. It will work out much better for you.

most insightful nissan, thanks
however the other pc is downstairs in a bedroom, dont think a cat5 line would do it less i ran a very long line outside, around the house and back inside....whew i'm sweating thinking about it. lol

not sure if a wireless router would reach that far? if so would it be secure? like couldnt my neighbor tap into it too?

also how much does that router stuff cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom