Hello all. Question, if you can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noohbee

Solid State Member
Hi all. New guy. Found this site in a google search.
If anyone can help, I would really, really appreciate it. I hope this is in the right forum, as i'm not sure if this is hardware, software/OS related.

I work for a small .com retailer who purchased a few Dell desktops for customer service, each running XP as the OS.

These particular desktops are running BRUTALLY slow when opening any web page. Like, 30+ seconds to go between pages. Once the page loads, they seem to go a bit quicker when going through the website, but once you click out to a new site, it's the same 30 second wait...

They are on a network with other machines that are running just fine, so it's obviously a problem that is isolated to these two PCs.

The processor speeds, RAM and HD capacity are all contemporary tech, so it isn't a matter of them being "outdated" computers.

It has the same problem with Opera, Firefox and IE, so it isn't browser related. I've increased the paging file capacity, with no result. Disabled all protections, still slow as molasses.

Does anyone have any ideas where I should start with this?
My boss is putting this one on me to take care of, and I am completely baffled.

Thanks so much for any help, please don't call me a dummy

Landon- N00b.

OK, i'm going to try all of the above today...
I'll let ya know how it turns out.

No spyware, drivers good, network hardware A-OK. :(

This makes absolutely no sense.

To be just a little more clear...

If I open a browser, it will take 30-40 seconds to load the friggin google page. Once it's loaded, each google search I make works like a flash... But if I open a new browser or leave the page, it's the same 30-40 second wait.

It's almost as if there is some security setting that is causing this...

Any other ideas would be great.

maybe try switching the ports on the network to which they are connected. ie put them in one of the locations that's working ok and see if they have the same problem.
maybe your router has a problem?

also, you say that the computers that aren't working right are ALL of the dells, and the ones that work ok are not dells, correct?
if that is the case then yes i would say there is some security issues. or go into msconfig and services.msc and turn off all the bs that is loaded on them by dell.
cntrl+alt+delete and tell us how many processes are running.

Sweet. I'm going into work Monday PM, i'll post an update on the processes then.

I don't understand what all of them are, but i'm sure someone here will know.

OK, 33 processes.

firefox.exe
taskmgr.exe
Dymolbl.exe
iexplore.exe
cidaemon.exe
alg.exe
Ymsgr_tray.exe
ctfmon.exe
GoogleToolbar
directcd.exe
DVDLauncher.exe