xTITANx

Solid State Member
So I just finished building a new system with the following equipment:

Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 motherboard
Core 2 Duo E6400
1 GB DDR2 800
320 GB Western Digital SATA HD
NEC 16X DVD RW (IDE)
320 GB Maxtor ATA 100 IDE HD (added later)

I got the system set up with only the SATA hard drive at first and had Vista fully installed, updated and working perfectly.

I decided to put my old HD back in since this is what contains all my backed up media, which I really need for streaming to my XBOX.

Since this motherboard only has 1 IDE connector, what is the best way to connect both the DVDRW and Maxtor HD to the one IDE cable?

It is the cable that came with the motherboard, so it is ATA/133/100/66. I connected the blue connector to the motherboard, the black to the DVDRW (master) and the gray to the HD (slave). Jumpers for both drives were properly set. Half the time the system locks at POST, other times it will let me into BIOS but the identity for the HD is all garbled up; looks something like: 320 #1'FJG --'20 or something like that. If and when it finally boots into Vista, neither IDE drive shows up in device manager.

The DVDRW by itself works fine, the HD by itself does not, in Vista. So I was worried about my data, and I uninstalled Vista, reinstalled XP MCE 2005, plugged in the second HD, and it worked fine, and actually showed up properly in the BIOS.

So is this a jumper issue? A cable issue? Should the HD be the master? Should I try cable select?

Thanks for any help...

Hey man , this isnt the answer your looking for but im about 90% sure you can use a hd and optical drive on the same IDE cable

Ok, I'll give it another try tonight when I get home from work. That's how I had it setup before, but I'll double check everything and maybe update the BIOS since it is 2 revisions behind the most recent...

Thanks for the help.

It was the BIOS. As soon as I updated it, everything worked flawlessly.

Thanks for all the help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom