AGP-PCI-E adaptor???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobmitsuo

Baseband Member
Basically what i am looking to do is build a new rig, but i got a 7800gs AGP.... but dont see the point in buying a mobo with AGP.... but at the same time dont see the point in shelling out money for an equal card for PCI-E or for the 8x series quite yet being so expensive and all. So, looking to see if there is an adaptor out there where i can use an AGP card in a PCI-E 16x slot so i dont have to buy a new card right away.... Thanks in advance for any help.

As far as I know, the adaptor you speak of doesn't exist.

The only thing I can suggest is getting an Asrock 939Dual-VSTA or 775DUAL-VSTA mobo. They both have a PCIE and an AGP slot, so you can keep your 7800GS, and upgrade later.

I have the s939 version, and i'm very pleased with it. It overclocks my Opteron really well for a budget board.

Good luck. :D

Shumway said:
Dang b0dge,You actually beat me this time :mad:

As b0dge said the Asrock's are pretty decent budget board's,I'm more than happy with mine :)

Heh, sorry bout that! Right place, right time i guess!

Oh, jobmitsuo, if you do get one of the Asrock boards, Shumway helped me out a lot with setting it up, so if you need any pointers, ask one of us... (But I know only what I learned from the Asrock master.....!)

ecs has a motherboard like that too. but ecs makes terribly unstable motherboards.

Found exactly what i need. Albatron and ATI both made adapters that allow AGP cards on a PCI-E mobo, but neither company are currently selling the product... so gonna try ebay and someother places to see if i can find one, but if anyone else can find another company that is currently producing the things that would be great. So far i havent had any luck but i'm still searching, anyway, thanks again for any help.

Argh-beat me to it. There is an adapter, as you've found, but I don't think it proved very popular so it may be hard to find. Hopefully you're able to locate one, it'll save you a heck of a lot of money since now you can use your agp card and wait for dx10 to become affordable.

Well, knock me down with a feather, there IS such a thing!

Every day's a school day....

I can't find one anywhere though, not on ebay, nowhere. Hope you do find one, because like jorsoft03 said, it will save you some cash.

Hells yea... Saving cash also means i can pour more money into the ram and proc on the initial build hehe... But yea, so far no luck whatsoever >_< One last hope i can think of is the fact that every other month there is a Computer Fair about 45 min drive from me... several of the venders sell harder to find and older stuff for dirt cheap... like the guy who was selling 2GB drives for 0.50$ a piece lolz... hopefully i'll find me a dumpster diver who happens to have one lying around... other option is directly contacting the companies that used to produce them and ask if they got any lying round in storage or something.... one mans trash is another's treasure ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom