Is Raid 0 worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWS

In Runtime
I was thinking of setting up raid 0 for my gaming rig with 2 WD raptors. Is it worth it or not? Also what is a good Raid card if I was to do this.

WWS said:
I was thinking of setting up raid 0 for my gaming rig with 2 WD raptors. Is it worth it or not? Also what is a good Raid card if I was to do this.

I think thats overkill now...but if you have the money and need...why not? It will definately boost performance considerably.

2 raptors....yes its overkill. You will see performance increase in terms of speed in windows and applications, but I don't think its worth the money. Just go with 2 SATA 3.0 or say one 250GB SATA 3.0 and a 76GB raptor. This will give you much better performance but at the same time save you A LOT of cash.

Sora said:
2 raptors....yes its overkill. You will see performance increase in terms of speed in windows and applications, but I don't think its worth the money. Just go with 2 SATA 3.0 or say one 250GB SATA 3.0 and a 76GB raptor. This will give you much better performance but at the same time save you A LOT of cash.

dont listen to this guy, hes having a giraffe. You need 2 identical drives for raid 0... thought id let ya know before you go do somethin stupid

you do not need 2 identical drives for Raid 0...

If you run different ones the total size is 2 x min

2 raptors isnt overkill at all im running 2 of them and its worth every penny. you see a performance increase in every aspect of computing. also my 2 raptors in raid 0 is faster then my 2 caviar sataII in raid 0.

Raid 0 is a great thing to have if are into doing a lot of multitasking or editing involving constant high bandwidth access to your hard drive(s). In gaming, two raid 0 raptors wouldn't make such a huge difference though if you've already got at least a par processor, video card, and fair share of ram. In the long run, raid 0 is nice to show off and say you have, but unless you are into a lot of editing and such, I wouldn't worry about slapping two raptors together, but maybe two cheaper drives, as the pay off is just not great enough to suffice paying the hundreds for the raptors. If you're really caught up on raiding raptors and have the spare cash though, go for it! It will definitely not harm your PC any. Hope that helps!

::-Chase-::

Considering i don't have much better to do..I'd rather be patient and wait the extra 7 seconds when loading a game. When you get paid 9 bucks and hour... it doesnt make sense to buy your 3-15 seconds a day for an extra $100+ investment.

Personally I'd rather not develop an impatient anxiety disorder by being condition to instant everything.

Faster graphics = better quality without stutter
Faster porcessor = more complex detail
More memory = less hick-ups

Faster HDD = same data...3 seconds faster... woooowoooo

can i use an eide drive in raid 0? cuz i went thru my closet and found 2x 40 gb western digital drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom